Replacing motherboard

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Nickchick • Oct 3, 2014.

1. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just found out my processor completely sucks but according to what I've read if I replaced it that would mean I would have to replace the motherboard. Is it better to just get a new computer built for me (wish I had done that in the first place)? I would really like to avoid reinstalling the OS but I have read that if you replace the motherboard it will be a clean install anyway. I am just wondering what would be cheaper too.
    Googling just makes me more confused since I'm way more of a software person.

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    You'll have to replace the motherboard only if the new processor isn't compatible with it. Find someone that knows about hardware or ask online and see what (better) processors are available to use with the hardware you already have. If no better proc fits on your current motherboard then yes, change both. Use sites like

to build and get a price estimation - they usually have links to shops for your convenience and a forum for discussion or pre-made builds that you can pick from.