Research Online Before Buying, Offline

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Mar 29, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The web can be a great place to find out the "real" prices of products/items, etc which you intend to buy.

Since some stores tend to overprice their products, finding what the products costs online could help you avoid getting ripped off at some store.

Question: do any of you take a look around the net first [so you know what an item/product costs] before you go shopping?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's the first thing I do, to check out any specials and how much the product is selling for. I know it's hard for stores to compete with online prices and here in the UK there are products that have online and in store prices, especially white goods.

Most companies these days will match the price though, but not on internet prices. It depends on what I am buying, because you are paying for the sales assistant's advice at the end of the day.

3. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I always check the net before I buy anything. I even check the net when I don't intend to buy anything, like window shopping but online!

I think this day and age, with the competition and number of stores and websites all fighting each other for your hard earned cash, I think searching the web is the only way to make sure your getting the best deal.

4. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I always check prices online before shopping in a store, even for something as simple as groceries. Certainly, around Christmas, we do a really good job of finding exactly what we want/need for the lowest price by using the Internet and price-matching places. But even when it comes to my weekly shopping for food and necessities, I am in the habit of only shopping sales, using coupons, and going to whatever store has when I need the cheapest.

The time to money savings ratio has more than been worth it.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do that all the time, and will check across several stores too. I find it very handy, and helps me find deals or cheaper offers. I honestly couldn't NOT do it!

6. zenfive

zenfiveMember

Threads:
    Yeah checking online for prices is a great way to not only find cheaper deals, but also to save yourself so much time, as compared to if you had to go all the way to the shop to find out the prices. There is also so much more variety of products online, which gives you more choice and perhaps helps you find the products that are more helpful/relevant to you.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not really in the habit of researching a product unless I know it's going to cost me a big sum. For instance, between buying makeup and a washing machine, it's more sensible to research about different types of washing machine, their respective prices and where to buy them at a fraction of the cost I would normally incur. Makeups are not that much of a necessity but the washing machine ought to function for a decade or it'll be a waste investing in it.

8. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I always try to check prices online first. I take into consideration things like guarantees, shipping costs, etc. If you are able to buy something in a store you can look at it and you are sure of what you are getting. But once you have confidence in an online site, you are not as nervous to purchase from them, especially if their return policy is fair. I have not had too many bad experiences so far. Most of my bad experiences were from purchasing a used item like a pair of shoes that didn't fit right. This is where it would have been better to be able to try it on in the store. But it was a brand name that normally I know fits right - but it must have been mis-marked.

9. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I almost always check online first to get an idea of price. I also have two cool apps on my phone. One can scan a barcode and will pull up that item online and give prices. The other will scan a barcode and check other local store prices. The cool thing about that is a few stores will match the other store's price so you don't actually have to drive to the other store.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do research buying items that I know can have varied prices depending on the seller, like tablets or even cheaper items such as memory cards. For mundane items like food and clothes, not really. Comparing prices online saves me the effort of walking from store to store.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Yeah because these days I think it would be impractical not to do so because not only can you find where you can buy items, but also you could find where you can get the best prices for them. Not only that but also you could find a lot of new things that you initially never thought about and discovering these fun new innovations is very fun on its own.

12. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I do try to check online for prices and possible deals, but I spend more time researching reviews for things I’m considering buying. Even the smaller everyday items. Spending a few bucks here and there to replace a product I didn’t bother researching that ends up being low-quality, it can add up in the long run.