Reselling Old Clothing

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by dizzykitsune • Oct 7, 2014.

1. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    I have several clothes that are adorable and show little to no wear because they were well taken care of. I would like to either find a way to sell the clothing or donate them to Goodwill for a tax refund... Does anyone have an experience doing this? Is what you get worth the price of selling them or do you just get change by bringing clothing to stores such as Plato's Closet that purchase clothing to sell in their store?

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I have done just about everything in the past: Goodwill (I always figure it is good to give back sometimes since I shop so much there), garage/yard/tag sales (whichever one you call it - it is when you sell them from your home, Ebay (I have bought but not sold), and consignment shop (it takes forever). The one way of getting rid of used clothes that I have not tried yet but would like to is a 'swap meet' or party where people bring items for swap. You get a tag for the number of items you brought and then you can use it like 'money' to trade in for the items you want. You can make it a theme by having drinks and snacks that have to do with the party. I have a magazine somewhere around here that talks about a party - I need to find it and remember all the ways to throw it. It sounds like the most fun!

3. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I donate mostly all of my clothes to charity but I do also use a great site online to sell your used clothes. They are kind of picky when it come to brands and things like that but if it works for you it is a great was to make some extra money from clothes your not using anyway. :)

Here's the site...

Danyel :)

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The easiest way to make some money from your old clothes is use online sites like the one linked to above to sell your clothes. You could also find the following sites helpful:

All the sites operate differently so I'd suggest visiting all of them and find out for yourself which of them would work best for you.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy used clothes on Ebay, and I noticed that if many people like the same item, then the bids will go up and even double the original price if both people want the item bad. So aside from the suggestions above, you can also try to auction your clothes. Who knows, it might be a hotly contested item.

#5Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  6. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    This is probably the most difficult item to flip if you are keen on making a decent profit. Usually, you will only sell if the person buying thinks it is a steal. A bargain price will only be considerably lower than the value that you purchased it. I do not like the idea of buying used clothing, but a small fraction of people do. I tend to avoid going through this hassle and give away my old clothing. I think it is best to donate your articles of clothing to donation shops that give you the option of documenting your donation by receipt. This can be used for when you file your taxes, it's the only great idea I have for you.

7. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    When I have old clothes, I just give them to my relatives. We have no issues with hand-me-downs. You can also donate to charity. :) I have tried this as well in the past when Typhoon Haiyan ravaged the country. I haven't tried selling something on eBay though. I don't really trust that site.

8. randomdude

randomdudeMember

Threads:
    No. I have never donated anything to the goodwill but I have resold my used or old things on ebay. People post any and everything on ebay from a pair of shoes to an ordinary plan jane nuumber 2 penciel. I beleive if you sell them on ebay you will earn your money's worth and them some. You can always donate to the goodwill but you won't actually be gaining anything. I suggest ebay. Earn some extra cash while having fun doing it.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have never sold my clothes before because I don't think I could get much for them since I always buy cheap clothing to begin with so their resale price I assume are little to none by the time I'm done with them. Most of the time I'd just donate them to charity at the end of the year to serve as a good way to give some good will towards others during the season and I keep this in mind throughout the year as I continually reorganize my wardrobe and as I add and subtract items here and there.

10. legeipslt

legeipsltMember

Threads:
    I sold some clothing on Craigslist and eBay. It's very easy to do online. Take good pictures, have excellent detailed descriptions, and set your prices low. Don't have high expectations of being able to get the purchase price out of clothing you've worn. It's like a car. The minute you drive your new car off the lot, it depreciates in value a lot. So does clothing.

When I was selling on eBay, I had a perfect reputation and it was fun for a while. I recently sold some jeans, that were too large for me after I lost some weight, on Craigslist. The person who bought them told me to keep their name and number in case I had anymore to sell later on.

11. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I usually attempt to sell my clothes that are in good condition in a garage sale, and whatever does not sell I will donate to Goodwill or Salvation Army. When donating items to stores such as Goodwill, if ypu want a receipt, simoly go during store hours, typically they will have a donations drop off door separate from the main entrance. Usually an employee is there to help you unooad your donations, and then they will write you a receipt for your donations if you ask for one. Usually they allow you to write in how much yoir donation was worth.

I have sold some items at Plato's Closet in the past, however, they are very particular about the items that they will accept, and they have to have a need for the type of item you are trying to sell.

12. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is the nth time I had come across with a thread like this. Maybe I should think about my wardrobe because my closet is already full. I regularly buy new clothes and the old one are still here because they still look good. Now if I'm going to sell them, I would hit 2 birds because I can earn money in return and my closet will be unclogged. Let me think after the holidays, okay?

13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Denis and Sydney got all the sites that I would like to have shared with you. I myself donate our things to the local Savers, Goodwill or Salvation army. I shop there too so I smile sometimes and wonder if I'll come across some things I donated! Good luck in your new business adventure! Don't forget if you start a business you got to pay your business tax and get a business license.

14. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I have done a little bit of everything when it comes to trying to get rid of old clothes. You are not going to get much by way of a tax refund when you donate them for a tax receipt. It is hard to sell clothes on Ebay unless they are designer brands. Consignment shops are a nice way to sell clothes, but you have to wait out the 60 days or whatever the store policy is so that you can get paid, and yard sales are hit or miss because you have to count on people shopping at your sale that are your size. Any avenue you take, it is going to take a lot of patience.

15. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, we used to just give all of our old or unwanted clothes away to cancer research charities. But just recently a shop quite close to us was established, and they pay for your old unwanted clothes. They pay according to how much the bag of clothes, or bags of clothes, weigh though.

16. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually split my used clothes between my sisters and charity. I have never even considered selling them on, even if they still have tags. Yes, Sometimes i'll buy something, find I don't quite like it and pass it onto someone else. Where I used to live in England, there were also a few charity clothes banks dotted around town where you could drop them off any time of the day.

17. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I will use buy & sell groups on Facebook to list all of the things that I have first, as you can usually find people in the local area who would like to buy items that you're selling. Then if not, I will put them into bundles and put them on eBay. If they don't sell on there, then I will use a "Cash4Clothes" shop in my local town, that pays $1 per kilo of clothes. It's not much, but it's better than nothing at all, and when times are hard I could do with all of the money that I can get my hands on really.

18. Lupa06

Lupa06New Member

Threads:
    Currently, I sell used clothing and donate. I believe in giving back and helping others. However, I am a work from home mom and generating an income is also important. I started selling my twin girls clothing over the last few months Varagesale (also available as an app for your phone). Now I don't make a ton of cash and sometimes I feel like it is more work than what I am making, but every bit of money helps.

I have heard of many other avenues which one can sell their used clothing and items. Such as, the well known eBay, consignment stores, facebook garage sales, your own social media sites (this takes work), and at mom-to-mom communities.

It all depends on how much you want to devote your time into selling items, taking photos, writing a description, researching prices and what you should sell your item for and of course, marketing. In the end, whether one donates or sells both are rewarding.