Restaraunt Giftcards for traveling?

Discussion in Travel started by Sweetkymom • May 27, 2014.

1. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Do you buy up Giftcards for restaraunts in the area you're traveling to? Do you plan a budget for food or do you just stop and eat whenever you're hungry and at a place that sounds good at the moment?

I'm personally going to start buying up Giftcards for places to eat in the area my family will vacation at next year. I have a set budget but when I go Couponing and get money back, that money will go to a dining card. This idea could save my family into the hundreds because of all the savings I'll have.

2. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't for a reason that I don't know that there's such thing that exists. But it seems like it would be more convenient and cheaper, so next time I would be really glad and excited to try it. Sounds like nice.

3. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    No, not really. I know I should, but I must admit, I'm just too lazy to plan it all out in advance like that. Besides that, I like being able to go for a walk when I'm getting hungry, and just eat wherever happens to take my fancy. I wouldn't really be able to do that if I was buying giftcards in advance.

4. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I used to do that, but I think I ended up actually spending more. There are times when you can't avail of a certain restaurant promotion when you are using a gift card and more often than not, if they know you are a tourist, they are more than happy to offer you various types of promotions. I would end up just using my credit card in order to avail of those and I am left of with an unused gift card.

I think it's better if your trip is more spontaneous. This way, you are not limited by the fact that you have already prepaid a certain restaurant. You can explore whatever you see in that location.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I used to travel a lot that would be too restrictive to me. In fact the places that I visited probably didn't have a restaurant that has a website because I liked the wild places best. These days, I only travel around to visit relatives around the country which means if I wanted to I don't have to pay for anything. But I don't pop into restaurants so a gift card wouldn't be of much value to me.

6. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    I used it but I am not compromising on food during the travelling I have settled much budget for food whenever I go to the tour..

7. Ashlee

AshleeActive Member

Threads:
    Kasi! You are absolutely right. I also used it but cannot do any compromised on food. Generally I don’t set any budget for food. Whenever I got hungry I just stop and eat. Though I am getting overweight but cannot stop for delicious food. During my last boston to washington dc bus tours. I have visited many tasty restaurants and ate there special dishes. I always try to eat the food of every region.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It depends on whether or not if could find some good promos or if there are restaurants I like listed. Often the restaurants offering discounts online are new ones so usually we are not sure of the quality and from time to time it is good to experiment and venture out especially when it comes with a discount which in my opinion is the best time to test but for the most part I prefer to just discover things naturally unless I am traveling with a tight budget in which case I would probably plan as many details as possible.

9. roki123

roki123Active Member

Threads:
    Ashlee, I am curious to know which restaurants you explore during your Boston to Washington DC bus tours because I am keen to go for DC after finishing my Vermont ski trips from NYC to enjoy the cherry blossom season there for spring break. So must reply me with cool names.

10. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    Vermont is an ideal destination for winter lovers. I personally visited there with my uncle jones last year.

11. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not really, because part of the fun of being in a new area is eating at new and unique restaurants. I could eat at any of the restaurants I had gift cards at any time and anywhere so I just like to go with the f low when I am on vactaion and find the local flavor and cuisine that is appealing to me and my travel companion.

12. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think it's wise to restrict yourself, because you may find somewhere cheaper or with better food. I never like gift cards because you always feel as if it's money that is being wasted if you don't use it. When I eat out when I travel I like freedom, but if you do like chains like Panera then that would be fine, but what if you miss out on a local deli? New York has so much choice, it would be unwise to limit yourself unless you had to.

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never even knew these existed LOL I think they'd be a double edged sword, to be honest. I can see how people would find them convenient, but then again, as everyone else has pointed out, is it really worth restricting yourself when you have so many other options to explore and enjoy? My answer would be no, I'd rather have the flexibility to go wherever I wanted, whenever I wanted to. I know that you can sometimes get those universal gift cards that allow you to shop at several places. Maybe if it was one of those and it was restaurants I really liked, I'd consider it.

14. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Much as I appreciate that buying restaurant gift cards - even though I wasn't aware of their existence until now - in advance for a planned holiday destination may be of great benefit to some - I have to be honest and say that they are not something that have any appeal for me.

As apart from the fact that they would be way, way too restrictive - as my idea of a holiday is to get away from it all and enjoy myself without any pre-planned itinerary and especially not where meals are concerned - but as I also tend to stay in " off the beaten track " destinations and always prefer to eat where the locals do - rather than in tourist restaurants - as not only is the food generally way better as well as much cheaper and more importantly - the chance of being able to savor the delights of the local cuisine - cooked and prepared as it should be - is something that I very much enjoy - I doubt very much that any of the small local back street eateries that I usually frequent - would be very likely to accept gift cards - left alone have a website where they would be available anyway.

15. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    I would say if a tourist already make a list of itinerary so he could save his time and he could explore some of most interested places as well and could also enjoy food of its different places. But if you like the place and environment then you will be able to experience new new thing more adventures places. It will bring more excitement in you journey.

16. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    This is such a great place for having such a good time ahead as it. I am gonna spend out the time as it. I will like to say that Iceland is the perfect place for me to see in winter. I am so sure that this will be really having such a good time.

must be charming to have a good time.

17. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    That’s a very smart and practical idea to buy up gift cards for restaurants in the area you’re traveling to. You can save money and time by planning ahead and using coupons and discounts.