Restaurant offers

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gelsemium • May 26, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yesterday I was having lunch at a restaurant celebrating the 70th birthday of my mother-in-law. At dessert time a server had a really nice gesture and offered a dessert to her and we were pleased with it. We were not as pleased at home when looking at the details of what we have paid we saw that... that offer was actually paid by us! :eek: So read the bill before paying it and watch-out for offers...!! :rolleyes:

2. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    So they brought something to the table that you had not ordered and then put it on your bill?
    That's crazy! That's how restaurants lose clients, in my view, I definitely would not go back there.

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LOL that seems pretty crazy, I have never been in such a situation, but if I did I don't know what I would do. Most likely if I have confidence with them I would ask why they offered the dessert if they were planning to charge it! But yeah, I have to believe that is was an honest mistake from them, it does happen.

#3May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
  4. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Are you serious? That seems a little shady LOL. They're definitely not supposed to bring something to your table and put it on your bill, if you haven't ordered it. :O There's a restaurant here that brings you a small cake as well as a free picture, but its never placed on the bill. I'll be sure to check the bill next time I go out. I'm sorry for this experience :(

5. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Let's hope it was a mistake, with things like this they'll be out of customers fast. Or maybe the server was involved in some shady stuff without the management knowing? It's funny how sometimes we think that we'll end up with some saved cash in our pocket when in reality we end up with less.

Hopefully by the time your mother-in-law reaches 71 the restaurant will be closed :)

6. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    Haha how crazy is that? I personally would think that if somebody brings something as an offer to my table without even being ordered by me then that should be free, right?

I can't believe that this can happen in a restaurant but I also hope it was a mistake though. Otherwise I wonder how many customers they have already conned with their fake offers.

7. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I read my receipts BEFORE I pay so there are never no surprises on my end. If I can't afford something, I don't order it. If the restaraunt brings out something then the tab is on them. They aren't pushing their games on my tab. No restaraunt is allowed to just add items to your receipt without knowledge. I'd be looking into that.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    LOL, on one hand I can see why you are angry, but in reality all the server really did was upsell you something (at least from what I can tell based on how you described it). They are supposed to offer you desert at the end of the meal, as they do with appetizers at the beginning of the meal, beer/wine/cocktails during the course of the meal, shots, etc... You may have been under the impression that when they offered it they meant for free, but in reality they were just trying to sell you on desert. Considering that some restaurants, like Perkins and Denny's and others would give away free meals and/or deserts to people on their birthdays, this probably only added to the confusion. To be safe, you can always inquire with the server if they do anything special for customer birthdays - they will let you know up front if they offer any freebies.

9. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ahah, you make a good point tom, but why would they bring the list to everyone and to my mother-in-law they bring her the dessert with no requests made? The only explanation I find is that they made a mistake or they had to charge that specific dessert (I noticed later that they didn't charge for a soup of the same value...).