Retro Games That Got You Addicted

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by DrRipley • Mar 3, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've always loved playing video games, but I honestly never got that much into it, and in fact, the concept of finishing games was always fairly foreign to me and I never even considered that other people were finishing games when I was younger. I always assumed that everyone pretty much just treated games as I did, which was casually, occasionally picking it up when I get bored enough and maybe spending a whole day or two trying to get as far as I could, but I never really felt compelled to finish any particular game besides one or two that I really liked and were easy enough but challenging enough for me to want to see the possibility come to fruition.

That said, one of the only retro games I ever finished, back in the day when there was no such thing as a save game state, was the Streets of Rage series. I admittedly love it so much that I still play it now and even have attempted to finish it again.

Did any of you ever get addicted to the old retro games, or were you pretty much like me and did not see much value in repeating the first few stages over and over just to someday hopefully get to the last one and beat the final boss? Which retro games did you spend most of your time on?

2. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    Retro games are definitely more hardcore. I'm probably not any good at the ones you're talking about but I like how retro games are generally more unforgiving and how a better player is able to differentiate them self more. I like the visual transparency retro games tend to have too. I think Starcraft Brood War counts. I like old rts games and Brood War is my favorite. I'm awful at fighting games.

3. ghostwheel

ghostwheelMember

Threads:
    I remember Streets of Rage; it was also in the local arcades back when I was younger and I enjoyed playing it.

I however, preferred playing games to completion (or close to if possible). This was generally due to not really having much of a selection to play with so we were stuck playing the same old games.

I remember Street Fighter 2 in particular and was constantly playing it with the Super Nintendo - played it to such an extent that I'd get blisters on my hands.

4. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Battle City has captured my attention the moment I set my eyes and tried it out on the NES. I played long hours with my uncle because the game had a very impressive two player mode.

Aside from Battle City, I also couldn't get enough of Contra. I felt super bad ass when playing the game. It had awesome bosses and also had an excellent two player mode.

Ahh... The good times...

5. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    Super Mario hands down. The hundred lives, the dragons the princesses and all the tricks of the trade. Its really nostalgic thinking about those times. My cousins and I used to
    get together right after school and play, taking turns every game overs. The fights over whose going to play next was epic.. I will open it up on the next family get together.lol