Returning Goods...

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by pwarbi • Mar 14, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe it might be just me but does anybody else NOT return items that you've bought but find are faulty or don't fit etc?
    I have to admit that the whole process of getting a refund or an exchange on an item, depending on the cost of course just seems like too much hard work. Some stores refund or exchange policies are a little complicated and I often wonder if this is done on purpose to put people off doing this?

2. philipgust

philipgustMember

Threads:
    I'm sorry, I don't get it

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always return unsuitable items. After all, I've paid for these items and if they are not as expected, I have wasted my money. So I always request a refund if needed, no exceptions. I avoid retail websites who don't offer free returns too. It can be a hassle sometimes but I'd rather do that than lose cash.

4. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    It honestly depends on what you're talking about...if it's clothes and I can see a HUGE problem with it that I can't fix myself, I will definitely return it. But if it's just like a loose button or something that I can fix myself, then I wouldn't return it and just fix it myself you know?

If it's food, and I bought it from a grocery store and I got home already, I don't usually bother...I usually blame it on myself for not looking close enough at the food before buying it, plus it's a hassle having to deal with the store people in returning and proving that you're not trying to scan them or something.

5. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I do occasionally, but it depends on the situation. Often I just fix it myself. I know how hard it is to stay in business these days. The last thing I want to do is pass along a problem to someone else that I could have resolved. I know what it's like to be bottom rung, so if a store loses money, it's the poor clerk who is barely making enough to survive who loses hours.

6. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    Looks like it IS just me then!
    I just feel like I can't be bothered with hassle of it all. Like what's been said, I suppose it depends on what the item is though. Food definitely not, which is odd because if food isn't right in a restaurant im isually the first person to complain.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I return it if I think it's worth the effort. Sometimes if I'd just end up losing around $5 or a bit more I'd just let it go because the effort and gas it would take for me to return it would be adding expense on top of already spending for the item. If the item is highly priced enough though I'd definitely try and get a return and an exchange because then it would be worth it for me to do so.

8. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on how busy I am. If I have the time in the day to get it there, I'll get it there. I'm aware that you usually have about 3 months depending but things fall by the wayside sometimes & even when it's sitting in a bag on the door where you knew you would see it with the receipt & everything in the stupid bag you might just forget. Clearly that was a personal story...

9. Shannon Parris

Shannon ParrisNew Member

Threads:
    It depends on the price of the item and how much time it will take to return it. Larger items I always return if they are defective, but some of the smaller items slip through and I find them in a drawer months later. I always intend to take them in but it just doesn't seem to happen.

10. mylindaelliott

mylindaelliottNew Member

Threads:
    Yes I hrave the same problem. I just do not return things. Not only are the rules complicated but they change from one time to another. Just because this was the return policy this month does not mean it is the same next month. If not that, then one store does it differently from the exact store down the street.

#10Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2015
  11. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I really don't see what the issue is. Returning an item that you aren't pleased with is quite easy. If you have the receipt it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes, and often times is less than that. Keeping something that is faulty or that you're unhappy with just seems a bit silly to me personally.

12. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:

I return thing often. Target and Walmart return things without question. They return things after I had had them for a lengthy time too. The dollar store has exchanged things for me even when the item had not been on the shelf anymore. In regard to returns form online purchases. They are more complicated, because you have to travel to the post office and usually lose out on the postage return in some form or another. Cost to go to the post office and time spent wrapping it and waiting in line. Yeah, I can see what you mean. But I would still return it if it was a significant amount.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like the whole ordeal of returning something, but if it's expensive enough, then yes I will endure the process. It helps if you can go during "off hours" when the store is not busy, such as right when they open in the morning, or late in the evening if they are open that late and still have folks working the customer service desk. When I had to return stuff to the 24 hour Super K-Mart near me, I would just go at like 11pm or later, since the store was a ghost town around that time.

I very rarely return food items, but there were some times I bought relatively expensive beef roasts ($15-$20) and when I got home with them and opened the package, they reeked of sulfur odors, so I immediately headed back to the store and asked for my money back - which I got with no hassles.

14. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Really? It really isn't all that much hard work as long as you keep the receipt?? You just get the receipt, and the goods that you'd like to return and go to the appropriate section of the customer services department, because there are usually two. Tell them you want a refund, provide the receipt when asked, and get your money back, or exchange if the store only does exchanges.

15. Lexus1

Lexus1New Member

Threads:
    Clothing items I will return or exchange because usually I have spent a good amount of money on whatever it is I am returning. I always try to exchange that way the store isn't really out anything. They will get credit for the defective item and if I have replaced it with something else it is a wash. I shop at stores that have a 100% money-back guarantee on their make-up because I again feel that these items are expensive and the store does get credit, or writes if off, either way the store is not out anything and they have me coming back into their store to purchase many more items that I don't return! It really isn't a hassle if you have your receipt and I have never had a clerk get nasty about it with me. It is all part of providing good customer service to your customers.

16. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    Around here, particularly at Wal-Mart, its easier and less hassle to buy a house than to return a broken item. Unless it was expensive I don't return anything. I agree that it's too much of a hassle.