Reusing Paper

Discussion in Travel started by Sunflogun • Jul 24, 2015.

1. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Paper is expensive and when we have kids in school age it becomes an expense. Do you reuse the paper? For example, paper used from one side in the office, do you take it home for the kids to draw or make exercises?

2. GeeCee

GeeCeeMember

Threads:
    Paper for kids can be expensive, but it depends on what type of paper you buy. My kids like to doodle, so I just buy them big reams of pulp writing paper. You can usually buy 500 sheets for about six bucks. Way better than buying some file paper or just plain white reams.

3. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    Paper is very expensive. I find that you get the best buy when they have the going back to school sales. They will sell 500 sheets for $1 so I always stock up then. After the sales are over the prices go way up. I do use both sides of the paper if kids are using it to doodle on or to write rough copies of a story.

4. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    Yes we reuse paper. Some of the useless paper that were printed out but not needed anymore are used as note taking or doodle paper. If it really becomes and excess then we just recycle them every week. We have a lot of paper at home; more then we're capable of using actually but we still try to reuse as much as possible. But since we have so many, most of them go in the recycling once they're done. Oh, and we also use news paper to mop up small spills if that counts :D.

5. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    I do. When I'm out of paper and have to write something not that important, I just use a quick piece of paper from around my desk. It does tend to get expensive most of the times, I agree with you thoroughly. :)

6. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do it all the time. I even reuse paper in the printer. I'm a teacher so at school I see lots of paper wasted. Although we recycle it seems like such a waste. If I photocopy something and it doesn't fill the page, I will even cut off that white space if it's 3 inches or more at the bottom of papers and place them in a basket and reuse them in math class as scrap paper for the kids. Using old newspaper to wash windows is another way to resuse old newsppaer. Newspaper leaves a nice streak free shine on windows.

7. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    Stock up on lined paper during before-school sales! I don't know their prices during the school year, but before school they can run about 82 cents a ream. I always grab about 20 before the year starts. That's 3000 sheets for about $20!

I do reuse paper often, though. When I'm done with a sheet, I use it for scrap paper to do math.

8. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I reuse paper all of the time. During the school year my kids get sent home with stacks and stacks of fliers, newsletters, and worksheets that are printed on only one side. We flip the sheets over and use them for grocery lists and scratch paper. I have also been known to cut these sheets in fourths, staple them together and make notepads out of them.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, this is what I do. All the mounts of school paper plus any local fliers and stuff, get made into scratch paper or drawing pages for the grandkids. The kids always like to save the colored ones for their scratch paper and cut them up. I'll write on pretty much anything from the back of a school note to the back of a receipt. It doesn't much matter to me if it's just a quick reminder or a grocery list or something that's going to wind up in the trash anyway.

For cheap paper, buy the spiral notebooks when they have the back to school sales. I bought a stack of those for 17 cents each.

10. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    We print out a lot of sensitive info in my office so if something becomes irrelevant, it often needs to be shredded. But I also happen to cut a lot of documents down to size, so I do reuse the unused parts of those papers as often as I can. I always need scratch paper for one reason or another, so it’s quite handy.

11. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will always reuse paper where I can. At work, I'll use the reverse of old documents etc and shred when done and at home, I've been known to use old envelopes, cardboard packaging and even store receipts to write notes on. I cannot see the point in paying for paper which nobody else is going to see. Of course, I claim this is simply environmental concern but the reality is, I'm just too cheap to buy a notebook.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would get copies of court documents which can be very large. The company I worked for would pay the the copies that I had scanned to them, which meant I had piles and piles of paper that I would cut down to make scratch paper for use around the house also I would print on the clean side of the paper if the information did not need to be shared with another person. Now that I have to purchase paper I realize who much money I was saving by having all those copies available to recycle.

13. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    I still use paper a lot for my notes. Post-its are a good help, but for the use I give to them I might as well use regular paper. I can simply cut it and write down on it my notes, so even if it's not much it's a small saving for me.

14. juancarlos

juancarlosMember

Threads:
    Paper is very high priced. Yes we reuse paper. At the office, I will use the opposite side of old documents. I have also to use old envelopes to write information on.

15. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, we recycle paper all the time. Anything we receive on paper, we cut down and use as scrap paper. With my husband being a Graphic Designer, we even use some of it to print on the reverse of the used paper if he wants to see how something will look as a finished job. Sadly, my country is yet to catch up because government departments especially, still go through paper like water through a sieve.
    As a part time freelance journalist working for the state, I have to submit paper claim forms (usually two pages), a copy of my ID and copies of my offer letter and contract. I have to submit 3 lots of that whole pile EVERY SINGLE MONTH in order to get paid. I also wonder where on earth all this is stored. It's just RIDICULOUS and breaks my heart.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I remember when my dad used to bring home office paper for general use at home and it was quite useful and it saves us money. So I think reusing paper is fine and cost-efficient.

17. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I think recycling paper goods is a very good idea. At our home we cut up the unused cardboard boxes cereal and other light cardboard and use them for notes, labeling and for our mailman notes that we have outgoing mail. I got a CVS card and I check at the coupon machines and most of the time I don't use the coupon so I use them for scratch paper too.

18. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I support the idea of recycling paper. There are those times at the office where the blank side of the useless print comes in handy when I needed to like run a preliminary print on an exercise I might have been conducting, I would reload the paper into the printer utilising the unused side. I also utilised it as rough work assistance sometimes when discussing figures.
    The spoilt print is also useful at home, allowing the children the opportunity of using the unprinted section to write, draw, and crayon as they please, having fun expressing themselves.