Rheumatoligist

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Gelsemium • Feb 25, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My mom is not walking straight for almost two years now and I feel that she is at the wrong doctor, as she should be seen by an orthopedist and not a rheumatologist. Is the difference between these two specialties clear to everyone?

2. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    An Orthopedist cares for problems with the leg, hip or bone structure, these happen from accidents or birth defects where a rheumatologist cares for arthritis issues. Sadly rheumatoid arthritis often causes a deformation condition of the joints and bones where it effects the person. If your mom is seeing a rheumatologist she probably has arthritis. Because there are tissues and muscles that are also affected this is probably the more appropriate professional to see.

My son was born with JRA which is Junior Rheumatoid Arthritis, people that have this type of arthritis usually have pain and trouble with whatever area is affected. The best thing you can do for your mom is to keep her moving even if it hurts. If you don't use it you can lose it. Sometimes the arthritis flares up and it is bad, sometimes it goes in remission and things are better. What causes the difference is not known but stress can be a factor. I wish your mom the best.

3. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I am sorry to hear about that Mockingbird, I've never heard about JRA until now. She was seeing a rheumatologist that helped her with the bag, but not with the hip, she really needs to change specialty.

4. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I do not know much about RA but there are many natural remedies for inflammation that might help. I know one friend who has it and has to take very strong medications to help her function. But for others who have different inflammation problems, they have found changing their diet has helped to buffer the side effects. A friend today who suffers with very bad scoliosis was telling me that despite injections, she still suffers on certain days. On these days she tries to limit her activity but she keeps moving. She said that her frame of mind is better when she does not think and talk about it constantly. I felt bad for bringing up the subject because I noticed towards the end of the conversation, she began rubbing her lower back but when I approached her she was cleaning windows and didn't seem to be in any pain at all. I'm sorry you're having to watch your mom go through pain. It is so difficult to watch our parents get older. No doubt your caring presence is a great comfort to her.

5. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yes, I am totally for natural medicine, but from a certain point on surgery is needed, no way around that. As for natural medicine, one thing is certain, it can bring us a lot more life quality.