Roku

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Nikole • Feb 24, 2015.

1. Nikole

NikoleMember

Threads:
    We recently got a Roku (the first generation) to replace our Wii for streaming. Now that I've had the chance to use it for a few weeks, I feel comfortable enough to review it. We purchased a manufacturer refurbished model to save some money. Therefore, any issues we may be facing may or may not be due to the fact that it was not a "new" product.

Overall, we like it. Not only can we use it for Netflix and Amazon Prime, but there are many other channels that we will most definitely make use of. It's a good basic streaming device, and it serves its purpose. One of my favorite things about the Roku is the ability to use my smart phone as an extremely responsive remote control. It also allows for typing in the search function. Being a part of a family that loses remote controls 50 times a day, this is a fantastic benefit.

There are a couple points where I feel it falls short, however. The actual remote control that comes with the Roku is often unresponsive. Sometimes it just has to be pointed directly at the sensor (the smart phone option will work from the other room!) but sometimes it just refuses to work. It's been very temperamental in my experience. The only other consistent issue I have faced is likely not even the Roku's fault: The Amazon Instant Video app is remarkably unstable. There are nights when you cannot even keep a show going on there, it just crashes and kicks you out to the main menu. I initially thought we got a bad Roku, but upon Googling the situation, many people are experiencing it and only with Amazon Prime. Tsk, tsk, Amazon.

Overall, I would purchase another Roku for the other TVs in The House. We got a great deal, and 95% of the time it works flawlessly.

2. biron

bironNew Member

Threads:
    I have been using the Roku (stick) for about a month now and have had a very similar experience. It is great, and for the price, it is certainly a good option. I like my "old" "not-smart" plasma TV and don't feel the need to "upgrade", but definitely wanted to have the "Smart TV" features.

The Roku definitely lags at times - the remote seems to need a 'just right' button press, not too long, not too short. The menus navigate more slowly than I would like and there are times that the video I am watching hangs up or needs to buffer. I have a very reliable internet connection, so I am sure that is not the issue. Interestingly though, I have to agree that the Amazon Prime issue may be more to do with their service than the Roku as I have used my Amazon account on a new Smart TV and had very poor results with it.

Good review. I agree with your concerns but definitely also agree that this is a solid value at a good price.

3. Gavin

GavinMember

Threads:
    I've used a second generation Roku for years and I'm very happy with it. My TV does have the "Smart TV" abilities, but it doesn't have the option of Hulu or even customized channels the way Roku does.

This was a pretty hot item over December and you can stream almost anything to it. I've used Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, Crackle, Crunchy Roll, Epix and Plex on it and have had no problems. The only thing I can tell you about the Roku is that it attempts to market itself as something that can play a few games too and it came with a copy of angry birds and its not fun at all.

Its more of a novelty in that regard so not really great at gaming but otherwise its awesome.