Romance Doesn't Have To Be Expensive

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Verity Darkwaters • Aug 23, 2014.

1. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    One of my friends on Facebook made a post about being romantic doesn't have to be expensive or cost money. Her husband laughed and mentioned that if he were cheap with romance he'd be in trouble. Regardless it got me thinking. My husband will randomly pick flowers on the side of the road for me, or take a picture of the sunset and send it to me so we can see it together, bring home a chocolate bar, or will hold me/wrestle with me even though he has had a long day. I find that very sweet and romantic and it doesn't cost very much if anything. Sure he takes me out sometimes and gets me nice gifts, but it's the little things I think that mean the most.

What do you guys think? Should romance involve a lot of many and extravagance or should it be sweet and simple? I mean a mixture of the two is nice, but it isn't always possible.

2. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I want to say no, but to be honest with you it's almost always mandatory to at least spend something to be able to make your partner happy. Of course it's a very bad habit to get into but sometimes those material things can really make them happy. As for me, I personally don't believe that you have to buy something for someone to make them happy, if you're in a great relationship your company is enough for each other. But to be frank, If I were a guy and my girl always asks for expensive stuff just for our relation to work then I would just get her a Happy Meal and tell here I'm leaving.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    My husband loves to buy something. I'm the one that makes home-ade gifts. And in reality I think he would prefer I buy something for him and I would prefer he 'make' something for me. I don't think it has to be expensive though, just the fact that someone is thinking of you means a lot. I don't like it though if it doesn't have anything to do with my personality. It makes it look like he had no idea what to buy me. He likes to purchase things for the home which is nice; like a pretty candle holder, vase, etc.

4. Betsyake

BetsyakeMember

Threads:
    I prefer to receive a creative gift even though it costs no much money.:p

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Why should romance always be associated with gifts? It's said that the best things in life are free. Complimenting your SO every other time, can be romantic too and it doesn't cost money either.

You can also do some activities together just like you used to when you fell in love — take a walk in the park, if you live by the ocean, spend some time on the beach in the evening, go read some stories to orphans at some orphanage. It will rekindle the spark of romance without you having to spend any money on gifts or special treats.

#5Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  6. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    There's a song that goes something like:

"Love don't cost a thing, but browsing the store while looking for it does."

I wish I could post the real quote... I can't even remembre whose music this is right now though.
    I think this is a pretty accurate thought. It's just the way life is I guess, and there's really nothing wrong with it.

7. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Spending lots of money on gifts has never been an issue for my boyfriend and I. Maybe because we are both struggling financially. Hahahaha. Anyway, sometimes it is a nice surprise. I remember my boyfriend surprising me for my birthday 3 years ago by getting a really nice hotel room with a bouquet of flowers. It was a lovely surprise as I was expecting him to take me out to dinner and for a walk in the park and so forth. So, I see nothing wrong with couples going the extra mile financially if they can afford it.

8. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    I definitely think romance can be cheap. It can honestly be free like previous posters said before. My husband telling me I look/smell/feel nice brightens my day and I think it's very romantic. You can also take baths together, Lay in bed and watch TV or give each other massages. All of those things only take time and attention. And that's the most important part of romance by far. Attention.

9. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I have to agree with some of the posts here, it's the little things that matter most in a relationship. However, at least from time to time, one should still buy a gift for the loved one. It's not that the act of spending money on someone matters, but buying something for your partner adds diversity to the variety of compliments, hugs and kisses we usually use to show affection.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not one to put importance in "things", so my husband is more apt to pick flowers or take me for a long moonlit walk or cook a special meal for just the two of us etc. Tons of ways someone shows their feelings for you without spending a dime. I don't feel right about people showing affection through inanimate object.. that's just me though. It means nothing to me, although I know it's the thought that counts.

11. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you, my husband and I are very much the same. For me the importance isn't on the material things, and certainly not the actual cost of the item, but more that the time and thought was put into it. Some of my favorite things that we share with each other are things we've made...he's written songs and lyrics for me, we've made custom things for each other. To me that's more special as it's something no one else could give =).

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it just depends on the person if they are the extravagant/high-maintenance type or the low-maintenance type. I think it's a must that you have to impress a girl the first time you go out with her, so you should definitely invest on dates and gifts. But when you become a couple or get married, then I guess it's ok to not give expensive gifts.

13. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on who you're being inexpensive with. Yes, it's entirely possible to be romantic and don't have to waste a lot of money but only if the other person you're with is not choosy. It's hard to find a partner that doesn't care how much you spend on her nowadays. No matter the love, I feel that there is a need to show it financially just to let the other know how much you care.

14. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it's really necessary to spend money on your s/o, but don't get me wrong, sometimes it's nice, but it's definitely not needed. I'm perfectly fine if my boyfriend goes for a walk with me or lays down in bed and we watch something together. But the other day, he took me out to dinner to surprise me because he said he felt bad for not doing it, and I told him it was fine, that he didn't have to, but it was really nice just to spend some time with him and do something different then what we usually do, but I'd get sick of it if it was to happen fairly often.

15. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I truly believe that romance does not need to be expensive. It is all about understanding your partner and living with them. The little thing that brings smiles to your face are the thing that are usually considered in most cases. Those are the things that really matter and make great memories. Expensive things would look good sometimes, however, at the end of the day they just leave a void in your heart.

16. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I say no it doesn't have to be expensive in order to be romantic. I feel it's the quality of the time spent and how romantic a person can present themselves other than how elaborate the event is. Think about it, you can spend a chunk of money and still have a disastrous turnout. I say true romance is based on chemistry other than financially. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with having a very fancy romance, but I don't think it's required.