Rose growing tips

Discussion in Home & Garden started by maddie • Feb 10, 2013.

1. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I have a few roses.. ( in containers) unfortunately the blooms and few in number.. When I got my plants the blooms were big and plentiful.. Can you tell me a what I could do to get them to bloom big and in large numbers? I fertilize, water and keep them where they get a lot of sunshine.. I can't understand why they have no buds or have healthy blooms. Any advice is appreciated.

2. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Maddie, I'm not sure because I've never grown roses in containers, but I have a suspicion your roses need to be fed more often. How large are the containers they are growing in? In the past I would have suggested Miracle Grow, but I think banana peels and other natural stuff should do it.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Roses do require a lot of water. Are you cutting the blooms off, the roses need to be cut off for new buds to grow. Cut the stem down to the joint at a slant. Hope that helps. Sometimes I just take the pruning shires to my rose bush and cut off everything. They come back larger and prettier.

4. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried growing roses in our back garden but the cats keep fouling on them so I'm going to try again later this year and will be buying some pepper to put around them as apparently that puts them off. I will have ot put a bit of fencing up I think to stop my dog stepping on them when she looks through the neighbouring fence at the dog next door. :)

5. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    My containers are 12 inches in diameter. I Feed them regularly, I don't use miracle grow, but I blend banana peels, egg shells and coffee grounds and water the plants with this everyday.

Vaughn James, thanks for taking the time to answer. I do water and feed my plants.. I don't cut away damaged leaves.. but always prune them.. there is new growth of leaf and branches but no flowers.
    There are no weeds in any of my containers. I haven't re-potted them in a couple of years. Could this be the reason?

Pat I do cut off the blooms.. but only new branches grow.. :confused:

6. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have only had roses planted in the ground and have never tried growing them in containers but I have always had rose bushes. One trick I learned a long time ago was when cutting back the old blooms, is to cut just above the first set of five leaves. Start at the old bloom and as you work your way towards the main part of the plant you will see that the first few groups of leaves only have three or four leaves. When you come across the first set of five leaves, cut slightly above it inbetween the plant and the old bloom. I don't know why this works but it does always seem to help generate new blooms.

7. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    We are still in the winter months, but I'm going to pass a little time and I will share with you some tips on caring for your roses in spring.

- Pruning roses early in the spring once the rose starts to show signs of new growth, usually in the way of small red buds. These buds will become new branches. Cut any branch that is noticeably initially dry or damaged. Then cut all but four or five of the healthy branches, ideally having the width of a pencil.

- Fertilize roses regularly during the growing season. Roses are hungry plants, demanding lots of nutrients for best growth and flowering. Each breeder of roses has its own preferred method. One of the easiest is to buy food grain depot roses and place on earth to feed the plant throughout the season. Otherwise you'll want to fertilize the rose with a liquid fertilizer every three to four weeks during the growing season (stop to start the fall) or according to package directions.

- You should irrigate abundantly. Roses need a water source fixed during the growing season, as an inch per week from rain or irrigation.

Surely you know these tips, but it is important to keep in mind to accompany the proper growth of our roses. :D

8. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Maddie, I'm glad you posed this question because I have a couple of cuttings from a friend's rose bush that I am trying to root and this is information I will need to know. I found an article that said roses require special rose food that has extra potassium. Your roses probably don't have a dormant season because you don't have a real winter, but you want to check on the roots as well as be sure the soil hasn't become too tight and compacted.

Here's a link to the article:

9. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Oh I never knew about this.. I will be careful to notice where I cut the next time we have flowers. Right now I have a huge peach colored rose that looks so pretty and smalls as good.. I really wish we had more. Thanks for the tip Dissn-it

10. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    @ bllomatic thanks for those tips.. we are already in the middle of spring here.. which is why I was worried. I appreciate those tips.. I may have too pay more attention to pruning.. But pruning back too much in container grown roses could be risky.

@ chanell, you are right, roses here do not go dormant. They are in bloom for most part of the year.. thanks for the link.. i feed my roses a special rose food formulated by the agricultural department here.. I also give them banana peels ever so often. i will check out the article. Thank you.

11. jennifer.f

jennifer.fNew Member

Threads:
    Same problem with me as well how to get out of this problem i don't no help me please

12. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Jennifer.. some of these tips here could help. Pruning and feeding the roses are the important part. Since my plants are in containers.. they have to be replenished every few days I guess. I am doing all this and lets see if I will have a good quantity of blooms this time. I will let you know.

13. celinadesuza

celinadesuzaNew Member

Threads:
    For Rose growing fast to care.