Rowling apparently has an "adult" book coming out Thursday?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Esperahol • Sep 25, 2012.

1. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I did not know that, but I can't say I care either. Is there anyone here who does, and if so are you excited? Also for the rest who might be reading this - do you think this book will be worth anything?

2. Nakhash

NakhashMember

Threads:
    I can't say I care to read it. Her Potter books were good reads for the plots, characters, meticulous explanation of a society within a society that operates secretly, etc. It wasn't for her writing style, which is just okay. So I hesitate to believe her new book will be anything to rave about. Any real publicity it gets will be from people comparing it to her stellar success with her previous series.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had heard that she was putting out a book for adults, but when I read the title of this thread...other thoughts popped into my head. No, I'm not really interested in her knew book. Actually, I have heard very little about it.

4. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    Her new book is called "The Casual Vacancy", It is predicted by some publisher that this novel is likely to become this years bestselling fiction title. The book is not even out yet and critics are publishing their preliminary reviews for a book they are yet to read. I would certainly read it just to see what she has come up with and how the characters and plot work.

5. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    It turns out that she actually has made this book "adult". The descriptions of sex (of which there are many) could be an expose from Hustler. They're really rather graphic and not in a good way.

6. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I can see teenagers wanting to get this adult book really bad because of this. I am sure a lot of parents will be duped into thinking it is an okay book for their teens because it was written by Rowling, too.

7. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    I grew up reading the Harry Potter series, and I loved it. I'm a complete Potter geek. People are complaining because she's writing an adult book now, but her books have grown with the ages of her audience. Her Harry Potter books were written for her kids, and as they got older, the stories became aimed towards an older audience. Now the majority of the people buying her new book will be her Harry Potter fans all grown up. I'm not interested in the subject of it though, so I'm not going to read it, but I have some friends who will.

8. Asuna

AsunaActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a Harry Potter fan and I really enjoyed J. K. Rowling's writing style and characters but I don't really care about her new book. As someone mentioned earlier, most of us grew up with Harry Potter series and it seems that the new book from Rowling won't meet our expectations. Maybe I'll give it a try and borrow it from the library when it'll get a lot good reviews and I'll have nothing better to read.