Rural US Post Offices

Discussion in Shipping Services started by SEA81 • May 12, 2012.

1. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    Does anyone have a list of the rural post offices that are going to be cutting back their hours? I heard that some of them are going down to as little as two hours a day. That doesn't even seem worth it to me, especially to pay the employees. I'm afraid mine is going to cutting back, but the clerk there says she hasn't heard anything. She did say they are trying to convince some of the postmasters to retire early. Thanks!

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't think there's a list yet. Most probably won't even be listed either, but rather will just have their hours changed at the office for local people to be informed of the new hours.

And no, two hours doesn't seem like much, but it IS better than absolutely nothing. To be able to go into a store, have your questions answered and pick up packages, etc....sure beats having to drive to another town or go without entirely.

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think that there is a list yet and the employees are probably going to be the last to know. I would take a look on usps.com to see if you can find out any information there. I think it is sad that the post office is looking at doing this but it would be better than closing them down altogether. I live in a small town and the service we get from our local post office is so much better than the one in the larger town that we used to live in.

4. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    My local news station said there was a list on their website, but it appears to be invisible. :)

I talked to the lady who works at my local post office (or the one I go to - it's a bit out of the way, but never as busy as the one in my town). She said they are talking about the ones that are way out in the middle of nowhere and that they are not changing anything.

The reason I don't think two hours is worth it is that a lot of the people who work in these post offices don't live in the towns where they work because they've been transferred. I just don't see the point in going to a job that's more or less going to earn the gas/wear and tear on my car that it took to get there. I guess, it'd be okay if you are working so you can have health insurance or you are near retirement or something.

5. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    I've heard nothing of a list, but I do know smaller ones have cut their hours. I'm from a small town and ours is open like normal, until 5pm on weekdays and noon on Saturdays. There's a smaller town near me whose post office closes around 3:30 on weekdays and isn't open on Saturday at all. I think the best way to know will be from your actual post office. They'll know if their hours are going to change.