Safe charities and good to donate to as well

Discussion in Charitable Causes started by goodselfme • Apr 20, 2012.

1. goodselfme

goodselfmeMember

Threads:
    An online website allows people to see what charities are safe to donate to because of how those charities use the donations. You will be shocked to find out which ones are really not good at all. This is a free site called Charity Navigator. They do take donations themselves, but there is no charge in the event you just want to look and not give any money to them. Google them on the net and be surprised at the results.

2. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    Thank you so much for this! Many people do not donate because they fear their money is going into some one else's pocket instead of the actual cause itself. This will be very helpful to those skeptical about donating and you are right - many of us will see where our money goes.

3. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I'll leave the link just in case someone can't find it:

It's a great idea for a site as you don't always know the charity you're donating to can really be trusted (will YOUR money really be going to the people in need?). Too bad it's only available for Americans though.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Oh, thank you!

While I know to research the charities I give to and pretty much only donate to ones I picked out years ago, I know some people don't. When I've tried explaining before why some of them aren't "safe" or as good as others, I've been blown off, so it's nice to see a full site breakdown like that.

5. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Not that I am suspicious but, just as a matter of principle, how do we know that their evaluation is valid? Is there any review about them?

6. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I was actually going to ask the same question. What makes them trustworthy? I did check out the site but it is still not very transparent. Also, it is very easy to register a .org....you need no proof of anything, I know as I registered a .org.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    You don't. It's a good starting spot, though. From there, you can do further research. A site like this is more about getting it all together in one place with lists and collaborations, and then you take that information elsewhere.

8. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to donate to local charities, such as the humane society and food drives. I prefer to literally take the items directly to the locations rather than send money to some charity I don't know anything about. There are many questionable charities that are just about getting money for themselves.

9. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you for sharing this! I usually only donate locally as I like to donate food, clothes and other things that people may need. I have never really been big on donating money myself. I bet I would be amazed at the list, I have heard some stories of places that everybody thinks are reputable. Not sure how true it all is, I do not work at these places so I do not know where exactly the money goes. But I will just say that I have heard stories.