Safe tooth whitener for kids

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by missbee23 • Dec 16, 2014.

1. missbee23

missbee23Member

Threads:
    My kid has dirty looking teeth despite him brushing. I have brushed his teeth myself just to make sure, but for some reason his teeth look horrid. Since he is a kid, I don't want to use any harsh whitening products out there. Are there any safe, natural alternatives? I'm not looking to get his teeth "celebrity" level white, just a few shades lighter to clean it up a bit. Any ideas?

2. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    You can add a little baking soda to his toothbrush! Arm and Hammer has a baking soda toothpaste that you might want to try. I would do that before using a special whitening product. Stick to baking soda and food grade peroxide mouthwash. Happy brushing!

3. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21Member

Threads:
    Some of the whitening agents actually erodes the enamel slowly, that is one of the drawbacks to teeth whitening. It is important for you to be aware of this as it appears that your son is young and teeth whitening may be damaging to him at this stage of his life. I think you should consult with his dentist on this one to be on the safe side.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think it's safe to use whitening agents on adults, let alone children. Baking soda may do the trick, but please be careful with this worry. Many people have it in their genes somewhere down the line to have discoloured teeth.. so they aren't actually discoloured, they're just a different shade naturally. Also, before doing anything to his teeth, I would look deeply into what he's eating, because diet is the most common reason for teeth issues, which will lead to other issues within his body in the long run.