Sales people hassling you

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Dora M • Mar 23, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you ever get annoyed when you enter a shopping mall and you get stopped by some eager sales people trying to convince you that you need their product?
    I perfectly understand that they are just doing their job and perhaps their salary greatly depends on how many sales they make, but sometimes they just will not take "no" for an answer, and that's when I get irritated.

2. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    Oh yeah, my husband is a salesmen at a furniture store and his entire salary is based on commission. But, he really tries not to hover, he goes up, introduces himself and lets them know he is happy to help and answer questions. But, I remember one time, this was many years ago I went into a furniture store looking for a dinning room table and the salesman would not leave me alone. He followed me everywhere I went, talked to me about every single table and I asked him to just let me look and he said oh yes of course and yet continued to follow me, I finally just got so sick of it I walked out and took my business across the street.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep, I really do. I understand they are working on commissions, too, but I have actually ended up NOT buying a product at a store before because I ended up being hassled too much. I got annoyed and left, only to buy pretty much the same item at a different store instead because I was too fed up to deal with the salesperson at the first store.

4. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I get really annoyed when they do that, as customers, I think we need our space. What I hate the most is when they have their "eyes on you", and as soon as you're about to leave their area, they say something else to try to convince you to buy what they're selling. What's funny is that my old job told us to do the same in the training, as soon as someone entered our store we were to tell them about our latest promotions and try to sell something. I honestly didn't do that though.

5. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes this bothers me terribly, especially if Im in a hurry to get in and out the store. I know that they probably mean well but one store I went in had sales people in every department . It got so bad where I just left the store and went to another one.

6. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    A Japanese car seller still send text messages to me after we purchase a Celerio Model even when it was 2 years ago. They just wanted to ask whether how is the car adn if we still need assistance, I appreciated it back then but when they send messages at 2AM in the morning, this is a different story.

7. GottDeals

GottDealsNew Member

Threads:
    I realize that this isn't going to apply to most people who will visit this thread. However, you might still find it interesting where I live in another culture and really really have to do my very best at ignoring the customer service/sales people here in the Philippines. Although they act like someone who is on some type of hyper commission program, they actually are not.

Yes, they follow you everywhere, sometimes more than one [yikes]. And yes they are always greeting you, even if you don't make eye contact (but especially if you do). And no you can't do anything about it, it doesn't matter what store you are in, or what industry you are in. It doesn't matter if you go to a hardware store, an apparel store, or a grocery store ... "Excuse me Sir/Ma'am, How can I help you!" ... Just stop following me and leave me a lone .... AACCCCKKKKK !!! :)

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I live in the Philippines, but that never happens to me. And I think I know why. It's because you're a foreigner, so Filipinos tend to automatically assume that you have money and you are rich, which is usually the case, so they try to pester you, since they assume that with enough persistence, they might persuade you to buy what they're selling.

9. cabenb

cabenbMember

Threads:
    Yep! Don't like it when sales people impose themselves. I just want to look around and when I need any , I repeat ANY help or advice, I will ask for it. To be honest I'm affraid they will keep doing this because commission policies rule...........

10. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Of course they will not take no for answer. They will want to make sure that at least you check out their product or just buy even when you do not need it. I also get irritated but you have to understand that they are just trying to make ends meet for their families.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I go shopping I put on a facade of moroseness. If a sale person approaches me and I glare him/her down they back and way and try to hassle someone else. There's only one way to deal with sales people in stores. Tell them you're not interested.

Personally I hate it when someone tries to hassle me into buying something and even if I needed what they're trying to sell me, I won't buy it because guys I HATE sales people.

12. ladybug

ladybugMember

Threads:
    I hear what you're saying and some sales people can be pretty aggressive. Somehow they always seem to see me coming too, while I'm walking past their kiosks in the mall and I usually get sucked into their sales pitch somehow! I have to say though that I've actually liked most of the product's of the one's who've stopped me, but I can't always afford what their selling so I'll usually get a card from them and be on my way. :)

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So annoying! I will usually raise my hand with my palm turned towards them, not even look at them and say "sorry, I'm not interested". I sometimes think that is not very nice, but I have been fooled twice by people trying to sell me crap on the entrance of a mall or store because I didn't want to be rude. So I learned mt lesson and won't even allow them to start talking...

14. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Oh yeah, definitely, I once had this really obnoxious salesman on my tail, he's trying to sell me a condo unit, I told him that I don't have money and I am not interested, I mean for starters that guy doesn't look like he's actually had a condo and two, he's sales skills are just bloody awful. And this guy just won't quit, asking for my details and all that stuff, he's even trying to make some casual conversation with me, and eventually I gave him a fake number. But some salesperson are quite nice, goes to show who's the amateurs craving for money who's the ones who had experience.

15. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Selling is definitely an art. You have to know how to avoid annoying people. Anyway, sort of changing the subject, note that a buyer can get some good deals from so-called annoying salespeople. In that case, it's not always good to avoid them, insult them, or ignore them.

16. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I really am not bothered by salesmen to much of the time-but they can do things to bother people and then lose a sale that way. Some ways they drive customers away sometimes is by talking to much and not having much enthusiasm and energy when they engage with you-also they talk at you and not with you which is very irritating at times.

17. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I don't mind if they ask me if I need help but I expect them to go away if I say no thank you. There's nothing worse than someone following you round the store especially if you are only window shopping. I usually tell them that I'm just looking and most of the time it isn't a problem.

I suppose it should be remembered that they are only doing their job and in some cases people might appreciate help.

18. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pardon me if this sounds like a smear. I just want to relate our experience in South Korea. We went to the supermarket of Lotte Department Store in Seoul. It’s a nice building though. But when we reached the supermarket in the basement, it was teeming with sales attendant. The fruit rack has 2 or 3 attendants who would be pointing to the fruits. Making it worse, they don’t speak English so you can imagine my consternation. Having too many sales attendants is a turn off for customers.

19. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    It also happens at my place especially when I visit markets and shopping center. It used to annoy me before but I have learned to take it positively. I always tell them politely that I am looking for something else instead. :)

20. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    I understand this both sides since I am also a salesman. I do know some jobs require a certain quota for a bit of a good pay. Even though there is quota involved, I never harassed anyone just to sell an item. There are quite few of these people in malls where I usually spend some time. Who I really hate are the ones who are selling insurance. There was even a time where I already walked 10 steps from where the salesman started talking to me and he was still following me even if I already told him I have a bunch of insurance and I won't be needing another one.