Salon Experience At Home, Save $$$

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by ellajanelle • Jun 18, 2015.

1. ellajanelle

ellajanelleMember

Threads:
    I used to spend a lot of my savings on salons- I color my hair once a month and also occasionally avail of a hair spa treatment and rebonding once a year. I also have a mani/pedi once a week. It's very costly but I didn't mind back then because I was so obsessed with pampering myself.

But then....

I discovered YouTube tutorials, and now I rarely go to the salon- only to get a haircut! I'm still so amazed by the hundreds of hair and makeup tutorials on YouTube and they have helped me a lot! Today I dye my hair by myself, I just purchase hair dyes and hair treatments. I also discovered how to do a perfect mani/pedi at the comfort of my home. It's so easy and I can't believe I paid too much for it before!

2. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I do a lot myself now, too, to save money. I use the $6 box of hair color and do my own mani/pedis. Every once in awhile, for maybe a birthday treat or something along those lines, I'll treat myself to a professional pedicure, but that's about it. I just have a hard time paying so much for something I can do as well (and sometimes better) at home.

3. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    A homemade dye will always save a lot of money. Your hair stylist would charge you a lot of money with all those synthetic colors which do more harm than good. You can prepare a hair dye with henna and hibiscus paste and apply it on your hair and leave it for a couple of hours. You can then wash it off to naturally color your hair.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Youtube is such an educational place. I consult it for literally all my questions in life. I love doing things myself at home, saving a lot of money learning how to prepare lotions and potions for my body and overall health. I've been dying my hair with henna for years. I've given away nearly all of the commercial products, and am currently discovering the wonders of washing my hair with baking soda and apple cider vinegar. :)

5. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    I usually do a box dye by myself now. It will save you so much money. I have a hairdresser who actually does charge a fair amount, but doing my hair from a box is still way cheaper. I actually went to a hair dresser once (not my usual one) and they charged me $100 for a dye. I was so upset because that's so much money for just dying your hair. I would much rather be able to just do it from home.

6. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    I also switched to doing it at home. I did need to buy a couple of cheap tools to get it to work. One was layering scissors and the other is a hair dye application brush and a big pack of rubber gloves. Once I had these I found I cut my hair about as well and colored it a lot better than the salon did. I can take my time and make sure none of the dye gets on my skin, which is not just unsightly but potentially dangerous given the chemicals in those dyes!