Sam's Club Or Costco?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by gmckee1985 • Oct 30, 2015.

1. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    These are probably the two most popular bulk/warehouse retailers. Which of the two do you prefer? And which has the better pricing from your personal experience and observations? I think they both have a lot of positives, but curious as to what the consensus is here on the boards.

2. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Costco. I've only used Sam's Club, like, twice, but Costco is far more popular where I lived, and I prefer the layout and selection of Costco. I don't know about other Sam's Club outlets, but if nothing else I find the workers of Costco much, much more helpful. It strikes me as sort of the Holy Grail of customer service jobs in terms of job satisfaction and treatment by the company.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always use Costco. I don't belong to a Sam's club but I have been in the stores before. I was not impressed as the layout seemed haphazard, and I didn't think the bargains that were that spectacular. Sadly., I don't get to Costco as often as I would like, because as with most stores, they are not located in my area.

4. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    CostCo does definitely seem to treat their employees well and compensate them pretty well for the type of job they do. Can't say I've had many problems with Sam's Club employees, though. The one's I've encountered have been courteous and helpful. Much better than Wal-Mart. They do seem to be understaffed, though.

5. MichelleVL

MichelleVLMember

Threads:
    I have been a member of both Costco and Sam's Club, and personally I prefer Costco. I like more the variety of products and special offers that Costco has to offer. Costco is also a more organized store, the employees seem more eager to help, they seem happier and the taste samples at Costco are more, and better! Yummm! LOL

6. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrieMember

Threads:
    I have never lived close to a Costco so most of my warehouse type shopping has been done at Sam's Club. I like it for certain things but a lot of the bulk packaging doesn't work well for a single person with a standard sized fridge and freezer. When I go to Sam's it's more likely for party prep rather than grocery shopping. Though I do love the fact that they have an on site butcher and they will cut your roasts etc for you at no additional cost.

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh definitely, Costco. It has so much more choice than Sams. BJ's warehouse club is another popular choice, but I don't lke it as much as Costco. Where I live now, BJ's is not very close, so I haven't been there in years, but I still don't think it is near as good as Costco in my opinion.

8. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    Like you mentioned I think it’s a matter of location. In my area there is a Sam’s Club and Costco. However, I can name five other Costco locations but no other Sam’s clubs in the nearby area. I personally have always shopped at Costco so I like it better. I think their meat and produce is some of the freshest. However, I do enjoy shopping at Sam’s Club everyone in a while. I think Sam’s has a lot more designer names in handbags, sunglasses and clothing. However, I think Costco has a better selection of furniture and random home items. As for beauty products and food items they are pretty much comparable but do offer slightly different brands. I’ve just grown accustom to the brands and Costco.

9. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I've never been to Sam's Club because there isn't one anywhere near where I live, however I have been to Costco and I will admit that I love it in there, and go in all the time. I particularly like it when I am entertaining as I know that there are always going to be bulk things to get my hands on, which is great. I love saving money, and buying in bulk is definitely one of the best ways in which you can do this.

10. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I agree Costco is definitely worth it. There are so many product in which get double the size for half the price I would at a normal grocery store. I also really like that they have started carrying organic products. My only complaint is that the products are not always consistent. One month there will be a whole shelf of a certain product and the next week it will be gone. That is why if I see something I always make sure to get it right away.

11. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have never been to a Sam's Club, where I live we only have Costco. I love Costco. I think you have to know your prices to ensure you are getting a good deal. I find at Costco certain items are very reasonably priced like milk, bread, eggs, cheese. They do a good job of competitively pricing the staples that you need to buy each week. It keeps me going back. The only problem I have with Costco is parking. I find if you go in the afternoon on a Saturday or Sunday you can drive around for 15 minutes trying to get parking. I do my best to get their right when it opens and I can avoid the crowds and line ups at the checkout.

12. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I agree parking is a nightmare. I try to go right when they open Saturday or Sunday or even during the week. I've heard that the prices of goods such as toilet paper, laundry items, cleaning supplies and beauty products are no better then if you were to use a coupon at a CVS or grocery store. Costco unfortunately doesn't take coupons. I personally rather buy things in bulk so I have to buy it more infrequently.

13. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    Another great wholesaler is BJs. Although I personally don't think their produce and meat is as fresh as Costco, they do offer a wider range of beauty and house hold products. I typically goes once in a while to stock up on these items. I love that they daddy method cleaners. I wish Costco would.

14. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I’m not a fan of either. I prefer going to easy places that don’t require a member card, like Walmart or smaller places like Safeway and Trader Joe’s. We are only 2 in our household, so I can’t justify the savings for Cosco or Sams. But if I do have to pick one I would say Cosco for the better prices and different products. If they weren’t so far from where I live and didn’t require a card I would go more often if I ever needed to buy more things than I usually do.

15. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I have never been to cosco before. I have a brother that has been there before. He didn't go there for grocery shopping though. He would go there with his friends after school and get pizza or free samples. Now I have been to Sam's Club plenty of times. I really do like this store. I don't know if all Sam's clubs are like this but there is a machine near the cash register that gives away free samples when you scan your card.

16. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I have the Costco Executive membership with my family. At first I didn’t think the $110 was work it. But it turns out you earn 2% back on all your purchases. Since Costco is our main food store and with a family of 5+ the 2% cash back we make back at the end of the year pays for the membership its self. It may not be work it for everyone, but it definitely worth it to consider.