Save-a-lot Stores

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by prose • Nov 5, 2015.

1. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    There is a chain of stores called Save-A-Lot in my area, that is similar to Aldi, but also sells more name brand products as well. Most of the pantry items as well as produce are similarly priced to Aldi. It has been a while since I have grocery shopped at Save-A-Lot, due to the location. However, I recently received their ad which includes their deals on Thanksgiving dinner ingredients, and their prices seem very comparable to Aldi. I am considering checking it out.

First, I was wondering if anyone purchases Save-A-Lot brand grocery items, and if so, how are they in terms of quality and taste?

2. Jamie Hensley

Jamie HensleyNew Member

Threads:
    I shopped Save A Lot when I lived in Kentucky, and loved it. They had a great selection of meat, and the off brands were just as good as Kroger to me. I have moved to Florida, and I didn't like the store here. I have switched to Aldi's in my area. If I were in Kentucky still, I would only shop Save A Lot. I say, check it out, and then decide for yourself. It's worth the time to check it out!

3. nailah783

nailah783Member

Threads:
    I used to shop at Save-A-Lot a long time ago. I haven't seen one in a while. I thought they didn't exist anymore. Glad to see they are still out because they have a lot of good prices. I'm from California and that is what we had. We didn't have Aldi's. I didn't go to Aldis until I moved to Chicago.

4. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    We used to shop at this store as well until we moved around alot. This store is fine to save money and shop around. If you like places like Aldi or food for less you will like save a lot. Though just remember that what the store has will depend on the location. What I mean is that if the store is located near an area where people tend to make a little more money then the save a lot will have more stuff.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They don't have them in this area but it sounds like a great store. I may have been in this store once when I was visting KY and Illinois. I think they have them there. I am a fan of stores that save you money for sure. The only problem is if you have to drive to the store, it kinds of negate your savings. It is one of the things you need.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have both in the area and stop at the one close to work when we need a few things. I like them both but we still need to good to a bigger store to get all of the items we need items not available at the Aldi's or Save-A-Lot.

7. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I checked, and there aren't any near me. There's been some change lately, with Aldi moving into the area. I've heard Trader Joe's is in Houston now, too, and I've started receiving flyers from a new store, I think it's called FoodTown or something like that, but it's still too far to make it worth the drive. Is Sav-a-Lot a full service grocery store like Kroger/Safeway, or is it limited, like Aldi's? I really prefer one stop shopping these days, since my car's not in the best shape, and I try not to drive it much.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of these chain stores. I wonder if it's something that's unique to North America? If we had it here, I'd certainly check it out. In these tough times, it's true what they say about every little helping :)

9. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrieMember

Threads:
    I do not shop at Save-A-Lot. I have had bad experiences with their products a couple of times and It's not worth my time to pick and choose what is a good buy and good quality over what is not. I actually got a can of their store brand green beans with stems in it. Just yucky quality on their canned goods. I have also purchased frozen food from them that I would swear were actually defrosted and refrozen at some point. The quality was so bad that I just crossed them off my list. But if you are the kind of person who can pick and choose to find a bargain it might work for you. I prefer to go to Aldi's or Tops where I know their brand doesn't mean it's class C product.

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I shop a lot at Save-A-Lot these days as well. I used to avoid going there since the first few times I went I wasn't impressed with their limited selection, and unfamiliar brands. But once I started being more budget conscious with my grocery spending, I really started to see how much I could save by shopping there, without even having to clip coupons.

They do seem to vary their prices a bit though by location - for example one store might be selling Cilantro for like 50 cents a bunch whereas another store might sell it for $1.50. Also, different locations carry different products as well. I've noticed some of our Save-A-Lot stores will carry more ethnic food items than others for example.

I would be careful with some of their processed meats, as well as dairy though. It's been hit or miss with the quality of those. I purchased a pre-sliced boneless smoked ham from them that was awful. It had a really pungent fake onion-y smoke flavor to it that made it inedible. Also, I tried their "Coburn Farms" brand tub of butter flavored spread, and it too has a really artificial "butter" flavor to it that's making it hard for me to finish.

Their fresh meats though are generally priced really well, and they are almost always putting $1 and $2 off stickers on some of them to sell them fast. I've seen people buy up every one of them in one swoop and save like $15 or more at the register.

11. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    There was a Save-A-Lot store here before. But I think it is gone, or moved somewhere. It used to be a cool store in my opinion. I do not remember having any problems with the store. I think everything went in boxes only though. It was fun to shop around it. I miss the store, it was cool. It was convenient to shop there, because sometimes my family did not feel like walking around in the big stores. I did not taste anything bad with the food.

12. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with CherylTorrie on this. We have one in our area, and I used to shop there occasionally. I stopped going when their prices went up, and seemingly, their quality went down. In our store, the employees AND the customers are rude and the atmosphere is very unpleasant. I honestly save money at other places, and don't have to put up with a lot of stuff. It may depend entirely on your area.