Save By Making Your Own Fabric Softener Sheets

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Zyni • Feb 22, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There have been times where I could barely afford laundry soap much less Fabric softener. I wish I would have learned this trick a long time ago.

Take a pack of generic coffee filters (you can usually get 100, or more, for about $1) and wet them with liquid fabric softener. Lay them out to dry then store them in a sealed container such as a clean, plastic cottage cheese container or a baby wipes container. Toss them in the dryer as you would a regular dryer sheet. You only need a little softener to make the whole pack of 100, so the bottle of liquid will last a long time.

A typical pack of 40-50 dryer sheets (no name brands) costs at least $1.00, so after the initial purchase of the liquid, you'll be getting a lot more sheets for your money.

2. franpj

franpjNew Member

Threads:
    Too freaking cool! Can't wait to try it. Right now, I'm not using any fabric softener because of a job layoff. I do have two balls with spikey thingys on them. Very hard plastic, and they "beat up" the clothes while they're drying and the clothes come out soft, but of course, no yummy smell, tho.

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I saw this online, of course, and I thought it sounded cool too. I should add that it might be best to make sure it's okay for your dryer. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be, off the top of my head, but it's always good to check things out before trying them. You can also wet a rag with softener and once it dries out, use that. I've done that one in a pinch before.

4. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Additionally, you can add a little essential oil to a rag and place it in with the dryer balls. This gives the laundry a lovely fragrance.

To me though, the best smelling laundry is that which has been dried outside. It just feels so fresh.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Vinegar is even cheaper and sooooo much healthier. Air drying is amazing too and also much cheaper lol. Fabric softeners make our clothes flammable (not that we're all playing in fire) and not the best thing to be breathing in all day or allowing to rub against our skin all day (I'm sure I'm not the only one who would think it a terrible skin cream.. but essentially, that's how we're using it lol). It also shortens the longevity of the clothing imo.