Save Money By Building Your Own PC

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by troutski • Jul 16, 2014.

1. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Too many people aren't aware that they can save tons of money by building their own computer. No prior experience is necessary, and you can potentially save hundreds of dollars by customizing the PC to your needs. Manufacturers create very basic and lackluster PCs that are useful for only the most basic users. However, by using a site like Logical Increments or another building site, you'll know exactly which parts you need to create your desired machine.

A computer that retails for $600 can probably be built for closer to $400. You can't really build laptops on your own because so many pieces are proprietary and won't match other parts, though. However, full-sized towers are easy to build, and the savings you get will make a huge difference. I always recommend that people build their own PCs to save money. It might be convenient to buy an already built machine, but you'll lose out on quality and features in doing so.

2. fivebyfive

fivebyfiveNew Member

Threads:
    The thing about building your own PC is that you not only have to know how to put the thing together but understand system compatibility. Not every part will want to work with another part. Not every sound card will like every mother board. Not every video card will want to play nice with other components in the PC. So while you can save money by building your own PC ultimately it comes down to whether or not you have the expertise to do more than just put it together.

3. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I personally am an avid believer in building your own computers. I think the smartest thing anybody can do and I wish I knew how to do it a while ago. I wouldn't have wasted as much money buying computers already. I am a heavy computer user and I usually look for very high spec computer. It's much easier to build a high spec computer that it is to buy in stores. You could probably save about half that amount you would pay by building your own computer and assembling it as opposed to buying from a store

4. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah it's a tricky process. I'm eerie about going inside my computer at all even just to dust it. I guess you would call me more of a software expert.

5. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Well, you can always actually do some research. With the prevalence of Google and guides for this sort of thing, it isn't all that hard. In fact if I remember right, 4chan's /g/ board has a series of guides for just this sort of thing, detailing what you need to buy, how much it is, and what things you need to buy if you're going to buy that product. They even give you a sort of, 'If you only have this much money, buy this' options. So if you have $500, they'll tell you the best computer to buy for that. If you have $1000, they'll tell you the best for that etc

6. troutski

Threads:
    Livvy's right, and like I said, sites like Logical Increments list all compatible parts together in a nifty graph. You don't have to be a genius or tech whiz to follow the charts there. No prior building experience is needed, and you don't have to solder anything. It's basically plug and play at this point, which makes it easier than ever before to have a powerful computer for less money.

7. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't knew such websites existed, thanks! As for me, I learned what hardware to buy by posting questions on hardware forums. Most times people are helpful enough and give good directions for what and where to buy. And I agree with you, buying a ready made PC means a more expensive build with lesser power. That's why I always tell people to talk with a friend that knows how to build a PC and work together since you either save money or get a better build with what you spend.

8. troutski

Threads:
    Yup, you can always get the information from helpful users on hardware forums and elsewhere. They'll give you more in-depth information compared to a basic chart for assembling a PC. I used the charts to start out with and then quickly learned how to do even more than what the charts listed. Building a PC becomes second nature and is easy enough because it's like plug and play. You save money in the process, so I don't see why a person wouldn't want to give it a shot.

9. devilishomar

devilishomarMember

Threads:
    It's true that you can save money by just building your own PC, but a lot of people are hardly even aware of what the parts mean and whether or not they'll even need having more power packed up into their machine. This is why companies sell pre-built models to users, because they don't have to even go through that phase. They show you different models to choose from, and all you have to do is click and you have a pre-built machine ready. Customer support is also very high for machines like these because companies themselves built those models.

This is especially the case with the Mac. It's very hard to configure on its own without Apple doing it for you during checkout, and it's meant to be that way. They design and build their computers with user experience in mind and try to push in as much as they can while still keeping the user experience at hand. This leads them to make really satisfying products, that although are more expensive, but are definitely worth the price.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with you, I guess it's either you take time to sit down and research about building your own pc or just spend more money buying a branded and pre-built one and enjoy the convenience of just plugging it in and using it. It's good to be acquainted with someone who knows how to assemble pc's so that they can help you, like in our case, our 1st desktop pc was assembled by my cousin.

11. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    The thing nowadays thought is that people don't want to spend the precious time that they don't have researching how to build a PC from scratch, and even if they did, if you are not in the know in the field, any small thing could go wrong and you wouldn't even know what (that happens even with those who know). So I would personally still buy a laptop if I didn't have a friend to help me assemble a pc.

12. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah most people don't know how much money it save them building their own PC's but I guess you can't really blame most people since most people aren't really up when it comes DIY PC's. If you're a tech guy/gal then it's going to be no problem but if you're just a simple folk who can't even tell the difference between a CPU and GPU then maybe building a PC is not up to your alley.

13. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I know you say that you don't have to have any prior experience, but I am afraid that I simply do not believe that to be true. I wouldn't have a clue where to start if I had to begin taking apart a computer and putting it back together again, and there is no way that I would be able to make it work on my own. It would cost me more because I would be likely to break the parts, so for me it definitely makes a lot more sense to simply buy one and be able to use it right away rather than bothering with making one as it would take me much longer.

14. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Not only can you save money by building your own PC from scratch, if you don't have the knowledge to do it yourself you can go to a specialized store. I went to a store where I picked out all the components I wanted on my PC and the assembled the whole thing (saved me the hassle tbh). I ended up with a more powerful computer than a prebuilt one and for less money!

15. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    Unless you're getting a gaming computer, have a tight budget or just enjoy doing it then I think building a PC is over rated. How much would you save building an office computer? They can be pretty reasonably priced and even if you save one or two hundred dollars, is that really worth it for the average person? It's not just the building process, but preparation and choosing the right parts, which is time consuming for a beginner. I personally take joy in building my own computer, but if I had a good income and thought building a pc was a chore I would just get a pre built.

#15Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  16. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I have always wanted to be gutsy enough to attempt it but never have. I have never even been brave enough to purchase my hard drive, keyboard, and monitor separately. I have purchased refurbished computers and other devices with success though. For novices like me sometimes it is better to buy 2nd hand where the user leaves some of the programs with the computer. I don't have the know with all to purchase the right applications for a cleaned computer. But those people who are able to build their own deserve to be in the IT departments of most businesses. I think comprehension of electronics and how they work is a skill that a price cannot be put on.

17. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah it's fairly cheaper if you build your own PC. Most stores that offer already built PC's often add a few more dollars to the price to cover the cost of their expenses trying to build that PC. If you're a fairly techie guy/gal and you know your way around a Motherboard then I'd say just build yourself a PC, it's cheaper and you have more control over it.

18. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Well yeah it's fairly cheap but if you're not really a computer type of person or if you're not familiar with how things work when it comes to PC's then you might just give the building a PC job to those who know how. That's the reason why many people don't build their PC's and they just those already built.

19. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree. This is really worth it as a practice. Once you learn it then you could just apply it for all other succeeding PCs you would build, and not to mention you'd get more of a handle on how it works so you could maybe even fix it yourself if ever it broke down for some reason. The only real challenge is getting started as there would probably be a bit of confusion and complication when you are starting to learn.

20. sharpayvargas1

sharpayvargas1Member

Threads:
    This one I use is assembled from different parts that I purchased one by one. It's a good thing, I've got a boyfriend who knows computers. You can choose the best parts that will suit you and it's like you won't have to pay for the assembling and installation of OS and the different software. I'm referring to those extra-costs they can charge you if you will have a set of computer. Gamers usually need a lot of additional hardwares to make sure that the computer don't slow down like Video cards.