Save Money? Make A Shopping List

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by AlexanderGoodman • Feb 15, 2015.

1. AlexanderGoodman

AlexanderGoodmanNew Member

Threads:
    I have started doing this in recent months, and I have noticed a difference of about 20 dollars per week in my expenses. Now that might not sound like too much, but if I kept this up consistently, that would be more than a thousand dollars a year.

Remember that when you go shopping without a list, part of the problem is the power of the supermarkets. These giant museums of food have spent millions on tricks to make you put stuff you don’t want in giant trolleys, keep in the fridge for a week and then throw away. By having a strict list and only getting what I need at that point, I am saving money. It's not the most fun shopping experience, but it works for me

2. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to key my lists into my smartphone as I've been known to forget my written lists at home. But as a discipline it's a great one and it certainly has helped me focus my shopping experience. It's far too easy to get distracted and indisciplined.

3. sll-rambleon

sll-rambleonMember

Threads:
    Yes, but I always get sidetracked in the shop. Never once was I able to come home with stuff written on the paper. I always but more, because it feel like I need them. I swear it would be better for my finances if I bought stuff on line without going to the store.

4. Happy247

Happy247Member

Threads:
    Whenever I'm out shopping I have a list on hand at all times. Every shopping trip for me is calculated because I want to save money plus I dislike the whole shopping experience. I want to be in and out of there as quickly as possible. Oh, and another rule for me is to shop without the kids. Those little critters are so expensive. They want everything that they see. Taking them in the store with me can easily add an extra $30.

5. BargainPhoenix

BargainPhoenixMember

Threads:
    I wish I was better with making a list before grocery shopping. I'm in the habit of mental notes for what I want to replenish and stock my kitchen with and just going. I kinda depend on the store's sales to help me with my decision making. I also clip coupons that are delivered to my mailbox twice a month and I don't even bring them. This is starting to feel like a confessional. Lol. Next time and every time thereafter I'm bringing that coupon envelope so help me God.

What I am good at doing is keeping my budget in mind and keeping the math in my head as I'm filling my cart. I round everything up to the nearest dollar. When I hit my cap, I assess my cart before checking out. I usually leave with a balanced grocery haul and rarely come home and experience the I-forgot-something blues. I'm also just shopping for me myself and I. If I ever become a mom I'm sure lists will become a lot more vital and helpful in saving.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can confirm this truly works! I never leave the house without my shopping list, especially when money's tight like now! Otherwise I end up getting everything I want but don't necessarily need. I get home, and I still need a lot of things. So yes, it helps a lot to have a list of everything you need to buy while out grocery shopping.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually have a master grocery list that always contains the same items, but I allow $20 in the budget for spontaneous, fun junk food in case I see any cool new products at the store.
    So ,every month I know that I'm going to buy rice, lentils, soy sauce, etc. ,all the same stuff monthly, but then I have a random $20 that my daughter can choose snacks and fun stuff with.
    The master grocery list makes sure that we can rely on having nutritious meals every month
    and the random $20 keeps it from getting too boring because my daughter can get all the weird flavors of Oreos if she wants.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I make a list to help me remember what I need to purchase, I hate to go to the store to purchase one thing purchase all of the other things but the one thing I really need and have to go back out to get it. The list helps me stay witnin my budget also.

9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with your post. Every time I go out to shop, I always make a shopping list, mostly I only buy things I really need and not those stuffs I badly want. This trick certainly saves money. Though you need a little bit of self-control because shopping for items can be really tempting.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I too have a "master" shopping list that I amend from week to week depending on what I need. I wish I had a little extra on top to get little snacks, but at the moment my money doesn't stretch that far, I only really get the bare necessities. In fact, I've had to down size; I now get smaller size items to make the money stretch that little bit further!

11. wameyo

wameyoNew Member

Threads:
    Shopping without a list encourages impulse buying. Impulse buying spells doom towards your personal finances. Its good to go shopping with a list as it'll save you a few dollars per month. If you like to spoil yourself a little while shopping, then it's better if you include a few niceties in your list. And stick to the list!

12. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that having a shopping list when going grocery shopping does help. Not only does it keep you on your budget of what you have to spend. But it also helps to remind you of what you need to buy. Yes, I will admit that there are times when I do buy something that isn't on the list because its a great deal. But having a shopping list to begin with can help to keep on track for the most part.

13. watsadamen

watsadamenMember

Threads:
    This may sound pretty simple but this advice is very practical when you want to save money. Before grocery shopping, it is important to check and list what is just needed at home. In the grocery, you only buy what is on the shopping list. When you don't bring a list, you tend to buy the things you think you need and not really need. This would only cause unnecessary spending and being over budget.

14. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    I do make a list but I also prowl the store for clearance items. There is one store in particular that has a lot of things at a deep discount. Although I may not need it right then, if I see something that I know I will need in the future, even though it's not on my list, I'll buy it. If it's on sale, then in the long run, I've saved money. We also have a Kmart store nearby that is going out of business. I keep going over there, watching them lowering prices and will eventually nab some things there too. Do I NEED it right now? Maybe not, but if I were to pass up these deeply discounted sale items, I could never afford them in the future.

I like being well-stocked at home. I can't remember the last time I ran out of something and had to make a special trip to the store for just one item. So if you ever came to my house, rest assured there would ALWAYS be toilet paper! :) Bought on sale, of course.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, leaving with a list makes you a more organized shopper and you exactly know which items to buy, so you head straight for them. Buying without a list makes you prone to grab items, so it hurts your budget. I list down what I need in my phone as well.

16. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I try to vary up my shopping list each month a little so that we have a little variety in our diet. The main staples I get every month are Cream of Wheat, milk, cheese, bread, lunchmeat, eggs, chicken, ground beef, noodles, and sugar. Everything else is meal dependent. I am trying to make cheaper meals these days in an effort to save money. Cream of Wheat is a bargain because it is a little over $4 a box but will last us for like a whole month and the kids love it. I really need to start plugging my food list into my smartphone.