Save Quite A Bit On Electricity

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by ziska • Jul 18, 2016.

1. ziska

ziskaMember

Threads:
    I shave been saving quite a bit on the electric bill by following a few simple steps. I've seen the idea's about simply turning off lights or unplugging things so I'll skip those ideas, but here is another idea:
    * turn down the temp on your refrigerator and freezer- We have an extra freezer in the garage and I noticed it had been kept on the highest possible setting, and that the food was a solid block of ice, ice age, cryonic frozen! I turned it way down, after all, the food only has to be frozen right? I also adjusted the regular freezer and the refridgerator. A fridge only needs to be at 40 degrees to funtion at optimal level, and many people keep it colder than that. You can buy a cheap refridgerator thermometor to keep it just right. This one thing has saved me at least 15 dollars a month on the electric bill.

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Let me contribute to this thread. We turn off the water dispenser for it consumes electricity overnight - you wouldn't need cold water when you are asleep. The digibox of your cable tv also consumes power, no matter how little, when it is turned on so we pull the plug before sleeping. Such simple savings can add up to a substantial savings in the long run. Besides, it's good to have a mind set for saving, particularly for the children so they grow up with that in mind.

3. rickymuus

rickymuusNew Member

Threads:
    Great. Also stuffing the empty space in your refrigerator with towels negates the need for your refrigerator to cool itself down now and then thereby saving on electricity. Try it you will not regret.

4. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Apart from these measures, I should also add that saving on electricity begins with the item you purchase. To this end, quality appliances are what to go for. These night look expensive in the long run but they last longer without needing repairs and offer the least resistance to electric currents reducing wastage.

5. judyd1

judyd1New Member

Threads:
    A friend of mine really swears by the unplugging thing, though.

She works full time, and her son is in school all day, so she goes around and unplugs everything before heading out the door.

She says her electric bill went down by over $40 the first month. I don't know what all she had plugged in! lol She says the only thing that stays plugged in is the fridge.

We're getting to that point!

Especially during these summer months, when the a/c naturally makes the electric bill sky high anyway. The only thing is, we are all at home in the hottest part of the day.

I really can't think of the best time to unplug anything.

6. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    There are a number of actions that could result in savings on the cost of electricity. Auctions such as turning, off appliances and lights whenever they use is not required and, purchasing energy-efficient appliance, and utilizing solar energy if it's possible to do so. I have been able to achieve a great amount of energy cost reduction by switching to the use of LED bulbs . I would recommend this measure as a major energy saver.