saving a few bucks by buying unwanted gift cards on line

Discussion in Online Shopping started by S.O. Price • Jun 8, 2012.

1. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    Hi,

I just wanted to pass along a savings tip that I've used recently. There are people who may receive a gift card for their birthday or at Christmas time and for whatever reason they end up not really using the card and rather than just pitching it, they sell it on line so they can at least get a few bucks out of it.

I am ALWAYS trying to find ways to shave at least a few bucks off all my purchases, so I decided to do some research and see if I could find some sites on line that offered gift cards for sale at a discount. Basically a search for "buy gift cards" should bring up some sites that are reputable and have quite a selection of cards to buy. Some cards may only offer a 5% discount for the basics like drug stores or grocery stores, which may only amount to a few bucks but if someone offered me a free coupon for a few bucks off at my next routine grocery store purchase, I certainly wouldn't turn it down!

As always, do your homework and make sure you're dealing with a reputable site. I would only buy a card if I could get free shipping and many places offer that. Most places will offer to e-mail an alert to you if you tell them what kind of gift card you're interested in.

In my opinion, I would not bother too much with those cards listing on auction sites such as eBay because by the time all the bidding gets done, you may have saved only a dollar. I myself bought a drugstore card that was shipped to me for free for a drugstore where I routinely shop for bargains. With my last purchase, by the time I factored in the discount I got for the gift card, plus a coupon that the store was offering for sale items I purchased, I did pretty good! It all adds up.

Hope this helps someone.

2. Kaycee J

Kaycee JActive Member

Threads:
    Interesting idea! Do you have reputable sites that you like to use to shop for gift cards? How do you go about deciding what makes for a reputable site in this department?

3. afterhours

afterhoursNew Member

Threads:
    I used cardswap and plasticjungle. Their rates aren't that high though, although it does depend on the store.

4. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    I've purchased a card from

. I did receive the card in a timely manner and I did use the card with no problems. I've also heard about

and

. I have not purchased from there but I do think they are reputable.

Watch for details. In other words, sometimes you might have to pay for shipping if you buy the card. You'll want to factor that in the price you pay to make sure you're still getting a deal. Also, especially on

, I've seen a few people place bids on a card to the point where they've gone OVER the original value of the card. I have no idea why someone would do that! Unless they are too lazy to go to the store and would rather just buy it on line and have it shipped to them.

It might only be a few dollars savings here and there, but if you know you shop regularly at a particular store, why not buy a card? You know you will definitely use it.

5. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    This is a good idea. Do the companies verify the funds are available on the gift cards? I would be ticked off if I bought one only to find out later on the person lied and instead of having fifty bucks it had five bucks or something like that.