Saving By Waiting For "the Right Time" To Buy?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by ExpertAdvice • Jul 16, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Have you grown awfully tired of the continuously increasing cost of electronics on today's market?

It's an interesting irony, because it seems that even in light of the growing upward trend in costs, there also seems to be an upward trend in both the desire for and the purchase of, electronic devices, which include cell phones (picture say, "the latest IPhone"), watches ("IWatch"), computers and anything else that comes with a new and updated version!

But, in the land of the civilized, where I would like to believe I exist, I would want to think that there are persons like me, who have been "pinching their pockets" trying to budget out their money and at least save during this time.

On the other hand, however, one has to acknowledge that with the increasing use of technology, both in the workspace and in the recreational space, one can't help but try to keep up-to-date with at least the necessary technological items.

A friend of mine told me that the costs of these electronics tend to go up and down in "seasons"...that there's a "buying season" that marketers know of, wherein consumers basically "flock" their new releases, and that's when they "jack up" their prices to make those extra profits.

And then there's the "off season" where the prices go back to a more manageable "normal".

So, have you ever noticed this trend?

Do you think that it's a valuable trend to follow if you're trying to save on purchasing electronics?

632951121_07c3bf5112_o_d.

2. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    I would wait for the right time to buy unless I need it right away. But most of the time I already have what I need and basically I find products and buy them because I coincidently "found" them on sale. And every time I convince myself that maybe I'll need this in the future and purchase it while it's on sale.

But for things that I follow and really want like the Sony RX100 M4 I would want to wait for a sale before I buy it because it is quite expensive. But if I need it before it goes on sale, then I'd purchase it anyways because I really want it.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    First of all, there's no such thing as the IWach. It's called the Apple Watch, and the company has not once referred to it as anything else.

Smartphone and smartwatch prices, along with desktop and laptop prices, are actually on a downward trend due to some of the better Chinese manufacturers releasing flagship devices that cost less than $500. The right time to buy a new smartphone is when you're ready for a new one, not when the prices are lowered. By the time a device is lowered in price, it's either outdated or a year or two later. That's how long it takes for overall prices to actually drop on the full retail value of a given items.

4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Not just electronics, but also household appliances have suffered an insane price increment lately.

However saving by waiting for the right time to buy, while it's a good strategy, has a possible drawback; the item you are saving money for can be sold and not brought back to stock.

When it comes to electronics, I prefer not to buy the latest and most trendy device, but the previous to this. As is example, iPhone 5 went cheaper when iPhone 6 was first on sale.

Having the next-previous, or even bit older technology doesn't not hurt my pocket and neither performance as I don't need the latest technology forcibly, no matter how much it would like me.

Now, when it comes to household appliances, I evaluate what are the chances that, if sold, the store renew the stock, or if my desired gadget is one of those one-time on stock that sometimes are sold. If so, I sacrifice other expenses to buy it ASAP and many times I'm right and congratulating me for haven bought it, as those are items never seen again, and these are commonly more needed in my kitchen that a smartphone, in example, could be.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm on a tight budget, and buying an electronic device is a major expenditure, even though it might be an afterthought to someone else. I never buy something when it first comes out, because I can't. Of course it would be nice to have the latest thing, which I had at one point, but times have changed, and so have my shopping habits. I do keep an eye out for sales, and look around to compare specs on various items and read reviews, because when I buy something, I'll have it for quite a while, so it has to work for the long term. I'd be interested in learning more about the buying seasons, and how they work exactly. I know most smart phones are released in September, and of course, there's the push to sell electronics, and everything else, in time for Christmas, but those aren't things I care much about, unless I happen to have money, and can find a great deal.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never buy some new gadget/device because a new model has been released. While I'm all for keeping up with the latest tech I don't buy into the hype that new devices are much better than the older ones. Of course there'll be a difference [more features, better performance, etc] but unless the device I'm using has become obsolete then I won't get a replacement.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Prices of phones that were released way back 2008 to 2013 have dropped a lot when it comes to their price, so if you don't mind using an old model then you will really get to save a lot of money by waiting for years before you buy them. That's what I also do, so better late than never getting to buy it at all, right?

8. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I do try to wait for the right time to buy, because it can be very annoying if you buy something and then find that the price is a lot lower a little further down the line. I very rarely rush into buying anything, so I can always afford to wait for a little while, however sometimes I do end up paying a little more around Christmas because family members don't let me know which gifts they would like until it is too late and the price stay high.

9. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, thanks so much for your correction and your perspective.
    I have to agree with you, that perhaps waiting for the "buying season" to calm down is probably not the wisest strategy if it is that your objective is to purchase an updated version of the electronic device that you are seeking.
    I also appreciate your input on the downward trend of the cost of these devices due to the release of these lower-priced flagship products.
    It really is incumbent upon the consumer to weigh their need for each device based on the urgency of that need, the availability of much cheaper models once the proper research of the market is done, and the "longevity" of that device, based on again, key research as to how likely it is that that device will remain a "staple" in completing the desired task.

Thanks again for your valuable input!

10. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I had to agree with you and the prices are increasing constantly day by day for almost all the electronic gadgets. I usually watch over for this sale season as there will be a lot of discounts and offers at a very affordable cost. Also, I can buy two or three products within my budget during this sale season. Anyways, thanks for the valuable information @ExpertAdvice@ExpertAdvice.

11. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Maybe some of you have already read my posts about buying a new computer. I admit that it is taking too much time to happen because I’m still lacking some budget. My PC now is already 7 years and due for replacement. I had canvassed the electronic stores for a new computer and I have one in mind. But again, I’m waiting for a big sale that didn’t come in December. I hope next month of May, the credit card companies will hold the usual computer sales promo – 20% to 30% discount when buying with the credit card.

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wait for sales for tech stuff. I window shop whether online or in brick & mortar. I memorize the prices and specs, then I look for the tech stuff I want on sale. I like it when I can get a laptop for much less than the regular price. I will shop around in stores get what I need and go to the electronic dept. check prices for about 15-half an hour and sometimes you see Rollbacks at Walmart just at the time when you need laptop, so you're at the right place at the right time and can get a laptop at a bargain price. I love it when I save money that way! Going to sites like Office Depot, Best Buy, Walmart and your favorite site you'll find out how much things are and when they got sales you can get what you need for a great savings! All the sites are free to join, so why not window shop and get a great price at sales or Rollbacks. You can have fun window shopping and when you find your electronics for a bargain better yet! Good luck!

13. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I'm the type that always likes to wait for the prices to drop before buying electronics, so you will never see me buying a gadget when it's still newly released. I even buy them when they're already phased out, since that's the time you can get those gadgets for a very cheap price as 2nd hand items or brand new, if the store still carries it.