Saving For Wedding

Discussion in Savings & Investments Plans started by MiMichelle • Nov 6, 2015.

1. MiMichelle

MiMichelleMember

Threads:
    We got engaged in April of this year. We are planning for the wedding in December 2017 giving us time save up and plan.
    I know the main way to save is to shorten the guest which we are trying to do.
    Does anyone have any tips for saving money during this planning period?

2. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    First of all, congratulations on your engagement! Try to enjoy this time of wedding planning, even though at times it may get stressful, remind yourself that all that matters is you and your partner on that day!

Great thinking in terms of saving on your wedding by having a shorter guest list. I wish my husband and I had not worried so much about offending other people in our lives by not inviting them. The truth is, it's your special day, and if people are really, truly happy for you, they should not be mad that they didn't get invited to the party! My husband and I both agree, if we could do it all over again, we would have had a much smaller wedding.

The best ways to save on weddings is to DIY the items that you feel most comfortable doing. For example, wedding ceremony decorations, bouqets, and table centerpieces for the reception (if you choose to have a reception), are all things that are easy enough to do with people from your bridal party and family members to help out. This is a great way to spend time and bond with loved ones before your wedding, plus your hard work pays off by making these items yourself! Pinterest has a ton of DIY wedding decoration ideas.

Think non-traditional, outside of the box. If you're looking for ways to save on reception venues, for example, call around and check websites for local halls, but also for local museums, libraries, parks, etc that may offer rental spaces for weddings. Also, I found that by having our reception a short drive (20 minutes) away from the church we married in, I would save thousands of dollars in a venue and food items. It may be worth looking in neighboring towns to see what is available.

Have friends give their time or talents as their gift, or still pay them, but save by having an amateur do the work of the DJ, photographer, videographer, etc. My friend had an awesome DJ at her wedding. I asked how much he cost and she said nothing, it was the groom's college buddy! She also had a stepbrother as her bartender and a friend took her wedding photos for free. Tap in to the talents of your loved ones for help, most often they are ready and willing!

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Hey how nice and congrats! I'd elope, why? Because it's more fun and you'll save a lot of money too! There's internet wedding sharing and you could have that too and just send a picture to family. You know what? I'm 61 and throughout the decades we get sent all the wedding pictures that were so elaborate and big too and we don't have room for it. Something small and just to family that really would like to have your wedding picture is enough. You won't get many gifts, but you'll save money for your own family, new house and other things like how to get everyone at one place at one time, do we pay for airfare for everyone so they can attend or just have a nice memorable wedding that you'll remember for the rest of your life. Good luck and happiest of dreams come true for your future too!

4. nailah783

nailah783Member

Threads:
    Congrats on the wedding. One thing you can do is set disposable cameras at every table so that your guests can take pictures for you. It let's you view their experience at your wedding from their point of view. You can also make a playlist instead of having a DJ. You can have some DIY decorations. There are all kinds of ideas on Pinterest. I'm trying to think of all of the ways my BFF and I were saving money for his wedding before they broke up. Have a loved one cook instead of catering. My uncle cooked at my dad's wedding because he's a chef, so that's what he does and that was his present.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most people are very motivated to save for this, but the best way is to allocate a maximum budget for everything and then see how much you need to save and then the rest can be saved for a honeymoon.

There are always packages around and many bridal fairs will offer discounts so it's work attending them to see the general cost of things under on roof and to see what you really need or want. If you do have a reception in a hotel or venue, many will have cheaper packages off season, so look at that too.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Weddings now are different than the traditional weddings of yore. First difference is the coverage where before the photographer takes care of the photos, now there is a videographer and even a video director for the pre-nup shoot. With the food, the usual per plate is now a buffet. I guess you can save money if you lessen the number of dishes but not the quality of food. With the coverage, do away with the pre-nup video since pictures are enough. And with the guests, I cannot recommend cutting down on guests.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, since you're both pitting your resources together, it would be good to have joint bank account through which you place all your mutual savings. Perhaps you and your fiance should try setting a definite amount to put into the bank once or twice a month. Also, set a budget for the entire wedding. Canvas for prices too by visiting souvenir shops, cake-makers, wedding planners and the like and comparing prices. It helps a lot.

8. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think you need to remember that your wedding is about you and your partner - and nobody else. Sure, you can go completely overboard and plan lots of different things to do, but you would spend a lot of money doing this. Keep things simple and it will be cheaper. Also, it's a great idea to have a separate bank account to put your wedding money into, that you can't see on your normal bank statement, as this would make you less tempted to dip into it. Put any spare money that you might have in that account and I am certain that you will surprised by just how quickly it grows.