Saving money and a hobby

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Timetrvlr • Oct 5, 2014.

1. Timetrvlr

TimetrvlrMember

Threads:
    We save money on Saturdays and really enjoy our hobby--attending yard sales. We've been doing for years and see it as a treasure hunt, though our treasures are only an occasional bonus. We never go looking for specific things but we are always aware of what will be needed in the future. For example, my wife keeps a sharp eye out for curtains, drapes, and sheets for our king size bed, king size sheets are very expensive but she occasionally buys sheet sets for $5-$10, sometimes they are new sets! We often see things that were wedding gifts and not needed including small appliances and cook ware. I often buy hardware items like boxes of screws, caulking, tools, garden tools, paint tools, etc. We are living the good life now but we have been through some rough financial spots in the past so we've had to furnish sever homes with furniture and appliances from yard sales then upgrade one item at a time as things got better. We bought all of the kitchen cupboards and cabinets for my son's kitchen, also most of the items needed to renovate his bathroom, oh yes, we even bought his mobile home from a yard sale for $15,000! After a lot of work and renovation, it's a very comfortable home now.

2. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I avoid getting into a hobby that would cost me a lot of money, even a dime, let alone the time. So my hobby that I maintain now that I really enjoy is playing a musical instrument and running. Of course, it's inevitable to shell out some money like for the running shoes and for the maintenance of the musical instrument, but they spending on those don't come as frequent as each time you do them. You only have to spend for those after a year or after half a year. You wouldn't have to pay each time that you'd would be doing your them or for each session. Also you wouldn't need to subscribe on anything.