Saving money at amusement parks

Discussion in Travel started by artifactsofmars • Jul 8, 2012.

1. artifactsofmars

artifactsofmarsMember

Threads:

This article talks about various ways to save money at amusement parks, such as the amount of money you save by getting a season pass, watching out for parks that a ripoff, finding local discounts, going early in the season and on weekdays to avoid crowds, and connecting with others to find bargains.
    I used to do the season pass thing. It worked great for me.

2. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    If you have a season pass or drink a lot of soda it can also be a good idea to buy the refillable mugs at amusement parks. You usually can then get free or drastically discounted refills so long as you present the cup. Thanks for sharing the article!

3. Magic Pixel

Magic PixelMember

Threads:
    What about packed lunches? Taking some fruit and your own water and drinks should be great. I don't know though...if that takes the fun out of a fun trip to an amusement park! But it's especially good to take some apples etc. for children. We do.

4. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Here's one: eat before you go to the amusement park and be sure to drink a lot of water. These parks charge you double and even triple the amount that an average store would charge for food and drink. I'd disagree on a season pass, especially if you only go once a year.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I agree with number 2. I was fortunate enough to live only an hour and a half from Holiday World. It's a great park, much cheaper than other places, and even has free drinks, sunscreen, and parking!

6. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    The last amusement park I visited I was able to save a ton of money. My aunt purchased the tickets at 50% off. I took my 11 year old twins and 5 year old to Disney Orlando about a month ago. When I was planning the trip online it cost thousands if I purchased from my state, NJ. We went to Disney for 2 weeks and the children had a blast.

7. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    You don't always have to necessarily avoid buying food at theme parks to save money. It depends on which park you are going to, and to a lesser degree, what time of year.

I feel that eating at a theme park adds to the fun and excitement of the experience (that's just my opinion).

Parks nowadays offer deals to offset some of the pricing for their food. Universal Studios Resorts in Orlando offers a Meal Deal where you can eat all day for one price. I believe it's about $22.00 for an adult, but you pay $22.00 once and you eat all day. If you go to an off-site restaurant for breakfast, and then another one for dinner, are you going to pay less than $22.00 for your two meals combined?

And as far as packing lunches: that is an option that will save you money, but it tends to add a slight burden to what you want to be an enjoyable vacation. You have to spend the time packing your food. Somebody is going to have to carry the food around in the park until it is eaten. If you are in warm climates like Florida, then you have to make sure your food is safe from heat spoilage. Yes, it is cheaper, but you have to decide if packing food is worth the extra trouble.

(Note: Some parks don't allow you to bring food in from the outside. Check with your prospective parks before you start packing food).