Saving Money By Using Washing Powder As A House Cleaner

Discussion in Home & Garden started by venusflytrap • Mar 15, 2016.

1. venusflytrap

venusflytrapMember

Threads:
    Since I moved to a Third World country, I have come across some interesting ways of saving money. I was quite stunned when a friend told me that she only ever uses simple, eco-friendly washing powder to virtually clean everything in her house, including her clothes and shoes.
    So, I tried it myself. It works very well. I now use washing powder to clean my bathroom, my floors, my shelves, even the mirrors.
    It made me think about the endless products that we are talked into buying. I think we are brainwashed into thinking that we need a different type of cleaner for every nook and cranny in our home. What do you think?

2. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I think that as long as one cleansing agent can clean everything that needs cleaning, then it's a good thing to use it in its many ways. I also think that it's not really necessary to have a different kind of cleaning agent or material for different things or parts of the house. I too use my powdered laundry soap not only in washing my clothes but also in mapping my floors and cleaning my kitchen sink.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never really thought to use washing powder as a multi-purpose cleaner, but I do have some products that I use for pretty much everything from the floor, the bathroom to the toilet. I'm not sure I'll use washing powder that way, but maybe if it had some anti-bac properties, I'd consider it. As long as it does a good job of cleaning, I don't see why not. I think I'd draw the line at washing the dishes, though LOL

4. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I love the idea of having only one cleaner and using for everything. Right now I'm hooked on using vinegar as my household cleaner. I buy the large jug of vinegar when it goes on sale. I use it to clean so many things around the house. If you put a cup of vinegar in a bowl and microwave it on high for 2.5 minutes it will lift off any grime and food residue in your microwave. All you have to do is wipe. I use vinegar and dilute it in a bucket and wash my hardwood floors with it. The same solution is great to wash your bathroom floors. I have an old spray bottle that I fill with a vinegar/water solution and use it to clean my kitchen and bathroom counters. I find the vinegar neutralizes odours too.

5. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, eco-friendly can be a very good cleaning agent. It not only allow for savings, but the one-thing-clean-all substance would be much more convenient than having to be getting a different product for the various cleaning needs. And I believe it would be effective enough in all the areas.

6. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    Wow. This is new as my mom uses different powders and liquids for cleaning different things in my home. So, till now I thought washing powder is only for washing clothes but thanks for this great piece of information. I have to tell this to my mom and save some money :)

7. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    We had always used washing powder as the only agent for all purposes for years. So this concept is not new to me. It is these days that so many varieties of cleaners are available and so one spends lavishly on them.

8. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    That is correct as long as you are too resourceful to devise any powder soap to suit your cleaning needs. Other find it easy for they are too canny and crafty. They call it life's hack. I have seen that kind of technique in the YouTube. It is too practical and it is too easy to do.

And there are still some people who haven't invented or tried that at home. They are just depending on what is being promoted or advertised on the TV or what they have read from the newspaper. But if they only know they would be saving much money rather than buying it from the mall, supermarket or convenience store.

9. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure if this is more economical than using washing powder but my utility cleaner is dishwashing soap, the liquid form. It us also an antiseptic so it us good in cleaning the bathroom. A liter of water and some drops of liquid dishwashing soap can serve the floor mop with a good cleaning. Liquid dishwashing soap is also good against pests like cockroaches. That's why I call it utility cleaning liquid.

10. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I think it would be odd to use washing powder for washing the dishes, but for general house cleaning then it's the "ideal" cleaning agent to use. However, when it comes to cleaning and disinfecting the bathroom, then I think we must use bleach and other products made specifically for the bathroom for best disinfecting results.