Saving money doing sports

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by caparica007 • Oct 15, 2013.

1. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    One good way to play more tennis, for example, for less money is to enter tournaments. If you play a tournament (at least a social one) you have the chance to play several games just for the entrance fee and this is cheaper then renting the court just for a match.

Does this also happens in other sports you play?

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure where you live, but tennis courts are free in my area. I live in California and we have public parks that have full size tennis courts. I can usually find someone to play with or I just practice against the wall.

I do love the idea of playing in a tournament. I haven't done that before.

I found a couple of great tennis rackets at a thrift store. I did have to get them re-strung, but I saved a bunch of money.

3. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think that there is that many sports that need such expensive equipment, and i am pretty sure there is a lot of free tennis courts out there. Even in my country that isn't that good for other sports that ain't soccer or basketball, there is still some courts in a few close spaces.

4. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    How I envy you guys right now. :) In California tennis courts are free? And they are in a good condition? Who does the maintenance of the courts? Parker, tournaments are great, try them out. ;)

What country are you from BlackSolaris?

Here in Portugal there are no free courts. I also know people from London and it is the same case, super expensive.

5. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a shame tennis courts are not free to use in my country. Tennis club memberships are very expensive and there is often a long waiting list. Tennis is still very elitist in England.

In other countries like Spain there are public courts open for anyone to use for free. I think this explains why Spain have produced so many good tennis players.

6. Kopparberg

KopparbergNew Member

Threads:
    I live in England and there are plenty of free courts to use around here! There's also plenty of other facilities such as football pitches, basketball hoops, skate parks. And then you could also go for a run, that is almost certainly always free ;D

7. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    I suppose it depends on what part on the country you live in. In a small town in the middle of Portugal (Entroncamento) there is a free court as well, but it's in a terrible condition because it has no maintenance.

8. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I find a lot of tennis courts are free around here,but also I think there are a lot of other things you can do for free as well-like hiking trails are free and throwing a frisbee around is fun also-sometimes they even have frisbee golf courses at the parks sometimes. Also you can go for a bike ride on some off-road trails or head to the beach and do some snorkeling and swimming as well which are very fun and free.