Saving money on bread

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Peninha • Sep 8, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Bread is getting more and more expensive and sometimes we tend to throw it away when it gets old. Is this your case? Some good tips to save bread are: 1. put it in the refrigerator, it will last longer fresh. 2. use a sandwich maker, any old bread will be delicious in it. ;)

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Make bread pudding and croutons!

Once bread starts to get stale, it's still perfect for items like this. You can finish off bread easily, even once it's too far gone for fresh items like sandwiches.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's really easy to make bread at home every few days. It doesn't take very long. You can even invest in a bread maker and have a fresh loaf every morning. There are so many simple bread recipes that only require about half an hour of preparation, and once you have tried out a few and found your favourite one, you never have to buy bread again. The difference between commercial and home made bread is enormous.

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Funny, just today I was talking with my old folks on the phone and they shared the 'store the bread in the fridge' tip with me - now I see it mentioned here :D It's a good tip, yes, but I'm more interested in making my own bread these days. I don't have the funds for a bread maker yet so for now I'm mixing the flour and ingredients by hand. It's a bit tiresome since you have to do a proper job in order for the dough to raise, but it's so worth it! Better than any bread I buy, like my old grandmother used to make. Not to mention that when you add the costs (ingredients/energy) the price of homemade bread is still lower than the store bought kind.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just bought bread ingredients over the weekend. Even though you have to lay out more money at first to buy a big bag of flour and yeast packets, it ends up being cheaper to make your own bread.
    You can get a lot of bread loaves out of a $4 bag of flour. I haven't made bread in a year but I found my recipe in a drawer and got the urge to start baking again.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Opinion is divided as to whether baking your own bread does save you money. I had to look around and though most people seem to agree that making your own bread could save you $0.83 per loaf, so if you can bake your own bread then at the end of the month you save about $14. Not bad is it? But if you don't have the time to do that then instead of focusing on saving on bread, just buy it and try to find some way you could SAVE [save, not earn] money for the bread you'll buy.

7. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Now you are taking it a step ahead Denis, I never gone as far as to calculate what would be cheaper, to bake our own bread or to buy it, but common sense says that it would be cheaper to bake right? Either cases, I have never made bread, so I guess I will continue buying it at least for the close future.

8. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I watched a documentary a few days ago about the different ways on how old bread can be reused. You can use it to make ice cream, pudding, and various other kinds of food. Growing up in a family where eating bread is a part of our every day lives, these tips and ways are very useful. I will try to make bread ice cream in the weekend because we have many old crumbly bread in stock!

9. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pudding bread is something delicious chiof, I just had it for lunch and when it's eaten in the day that it was cooked it's even better. I must develop my cooking skills, especially in what concerns sweets, because we can actually use "old" things like bread to make delicious dishes or desserts.

10. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    We have French toast every Sunday and use up the last of the loaf. We only go through about a half of a loaf of bread per week for sandwiches and toast. It works out perfectly for us, and you don't notice the staleness in French toast. I will buy more than one loaf at Dollar Tree at a time and store them in the freezer until it's time to start a new loaf. So, we spend $4 a month on bread. I have to admit homemade bread sounds tastier, though.

11. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    That's what I tend to do as well. I buy the bread when it's on sale or buy one get one free and I put it in my freezer. It lasts for so much longer and really tastes the exact same when you take it out. :) If I do have bread that's a few days old I use it in my panini maker and you wouldn't know the difference. :)

If worse comes to worse, we bring it to the lake near our home and feed the ducks and the swans. The kids love that! :)

Danyel :)

12. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I would never buy cheap bread. The quality is just too low. Unfortunately it would neither be economical for me to buy a bread maker. I eat so little bread that on the odd occasion I do buy a load most of it ends up going stale before I have a chance to use it.

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not a big bread eater, so when I do purchase a loaf of bread it will last a long time. I divide the bread up and put it plastic bags into the freezer. It will take me a little more than a month to eat one loaf of bread. I do make bread pudding when I have enough bread left over but I am the only person in the house that will eat the bread pudding. I usually feed the left over bread to the birds.

14. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am starting to feel that bread is not the healthiest food ever most likely because of the flours they use in the bread, but while I don't change my eating habits I hate to throw bread away so I manage to reuse it in quite a few ways and save money like that.

15. vennybunny

vennybunnyMember

Threads:
    I used to make my own bread, but I've recently found out that my local bakery gives discounts when you buy an hour before closing (midnight)

They make much better bread than me, and I know it's baked that morning. :)

16. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I put mine in the freezer. I'm the only one who uses it and also I buy fresh loaves from a local bakery. They spoil quickly so I throw them in the freezer. To thaw them I just stick them in the toaster for a minute or two. That way I can eat it at leisure without rushing to finish it. Fresh out of the toaster it's soft and warm. If I want it to be 'toasted' I'll put it in a second time and it will be toasty.

17. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The tips are very classic. I do them. Sometimes I even vacuum seal the bread and put in the freezer, and stash it there until the time that I would be eating or serving it comes. I wouldn't want the foods to go waste. Wasting them is the same as wasting money, even more because they have real values. I reheat them with the oven or with the microwave once I take them out from the freezer and spruce them up with some flavors, so they would taste a whole lot better than they tasted initially.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our bread never goes to waste, because even if it's not eaten and there are a lot of leftovers, my dad just stores it in the ref and he gives it to the dogs. When we had chickens before he gave it to them too.

19. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I do the same as most of you and store my extra bread after keeping one loaf out for that week in the freezer. I also try and plan out my lunches for that week and only take out a new loaf if I know I'm actually going to be needing it and eating it in the near future.

I've never tried storing it in the fridge after taking it out of the freezer, but that seems like a semi-waste of space in your fridge. Would rather just be sure I'm going to use the bread for that week and not be wasteful with it.

20. vennybunny

vennybunnyMember

Threads:
    I'm the exact opposite, my freezer is almost always full but I have a lot of space in the fridge.

Plus, I don't want my bread to dry out so I don't put it in the freezer. Except for hard breads like baguettes.