Saving Money On Dog Food

Discussion in Pets started by dashboardc33 • Apr 23, 2015.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    There are many people who will buy a cheap bag of dog food at the dollar store in hopes of saving a little bit of money. I have tried this method and it simply doesn't work. Sure, you can get a 1 pound bag of dog food at the Dollar Tree for $1, but if you buy in bulk 50 pounds of good quality dog food would only cost you $25 anyways. In the end, you are saving money and getting a better product for your money. I have also realized that the cheap dog food doesn't go as far. You need to give your dog double the amount because of the lack of protein to even make up for it. In my opinion, it is definitely worth spending the money and getting the more expensive dog food upfront, which in the end saves you money.

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    More expensive brands of dog food tend to be healthier, in most cases, though buying in bulk isn't always a good idea. If you store bulk dog food improperly, then it's going to go stale long before you reach the end of the bag, which means it's going to taste terrible for your dog. It's always good to buy in bulk to some degree, assuming you're storing everything in the safest manner possible.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yeah, it's definitely better to buy larger amounts. The dollar store food should only be used if it's an emergency and you can't get anything else. Otherwise, it's a waste of money and it's not healthy for your pup at all!

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Usually cheap dog foods are full of fillers, so they are very unhealthy. I don't really try to save on dog food because buying cheap/unhealthy ones will just result to more vet visits. Thus, more expenses. :)

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't save on dog food, don't even think of it. Although our dogs are fed with table food, we buy fresh chicken and boil it. In totality, it is more expensive than dog food. The only reason why we feed our dogs with table food is for fear of the availability of dog food. What shall we do when there is no dog food to buy?

6. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    I get the 50 lb bag of old yeller from Kroger. It's 20$ and 50lbs will go a long way. It isn't bad dog food either. I mean, you aren't going to impress your pooch as much as you would with the 50$ for a 10lb bag dog food, but we haven't had any complaints so far.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I forgot to say that dog food regulates the toilet habits of dogs. That is why our dogs have dog food for breakfast, for that purpose only. When they are fed purely table food, one of our dogs wouldn't go to the toilet for 3 days straight and the others would have diarrhea-like manifestation.

8. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    Have you tried mixing rice in with their chicken? My dogs used to get sick tummies. Once a week I clean out my fridge and divide it up for the dogs. I make rice to add and their tummies seem to handle it a lot better that way.

9. Tina122321

Tina122321Member

Threads:
    I buy all natural dog food from costco in bulk. I make it stretch by giving her leftovers from our food. I also give her chicken innards when I cook a whole chicken. I also give her half a can of tuna or salmon a few nights a week. I don't know if that is economical but I think she should eat real meat often and I want her to get plenty of nutrients. Today I bought sardines instead since that is supposed to be really good for dogs and it was half the price of the salmon. I think it will go far as well since she really only needs one or two a day.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a dog right now, but when I had my dog, he could not eat cheap dog foods as they gave him ear infections. I had to buy expensive brands which were like 9 dollars a bag. It got to be a really money pit. I would have been looking for ways to save. Right now, I give my cat alot of wet food which is expensive as well..but he is prone to UTI's without it.

11. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I was feeding my dog the Purina One Pure Instinct which is grain free and he was doing so good on it. I have acquired a large dog now too and she is a pig, so I have had to switch back to the Purina Dog Chow as I can get bigger bags for cheaper but it is still good for them. Plus, it is not easy to buy the expensive dog food when I have no job right now. But I am still leery of buying anything really cheap. You just never know about cheap dog foods.

12. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I one give my pets super premium foods. Of course you don't have to feed your pets with the most expensive foods in the market, but if you got a pet and can't afford to feed them properly, you might reconsider if you actually should have a pet...you can't just feed them anything!! There are dog foods that are so horrible that they are packed with corn and grains and barely have any protein, which is what's essential for dogs.

13. FenWoFon

FenWoFonMember

Threads:
    I have a lot of experience on dogs because I've bought a lot of dog food throught all the years and I have learned on not buying them the dog food that they sell in the supermarkets and such, it's easier to make them some kind of pasta with chicken in a broth with some eggs ontop it's way way cheaper and they like it more and it also keeps them more energetic atleast for me but that's just my opinion.

14. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I save money on my dog food by buying in bulk. My dog eats complete dry food so I buy one of those massive bags every three or four months and it saves me a lot of money. I don't buy cheap brands, the brand I buy is Bakers and i considered a high quality brand over here. :)

15. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    I usually end up buying a special dry food for my dog from my vets office. I should ask if I can buy it in bulk for cheaper. I don't feel like I have to save money on dog food, I'll do whatever my dog needs, regardless of money. I should also do some research into boiling chicken and other things you all have mentioned feeding your dogs, I'm sure my dog would like a change in her diet, haha.

16. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    We usually save on dog food by giving them leftovers from the table. I also made a point of frequenting butcheries to order for bones which they chew on with relish. Another nutritious way of saving on dogfood is to give the dogs overripe or excess avocados one of the few vegetables they seen to relish. Antidewormers should be administered as appropriate to guard against infections.