Saving Money On Haircuts

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Zyni • Mar 4, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you wash your hair before you head to the salon for a haircut? You can often get a discount if you go in with clean hair, free of any product, and just have them mist it before cutting. Then, skip the styling at the end. Pay only for the haircut and the tip, and do your own shampooing, conditioning, and styling, if you want to save money. Of course, you should call first and make sure this is applicable at your salon.

Since I always want to style my hair myself after getting a fresh cut, it's just a waste for me to pay them to style it before I leave. It costs $11 more at a shop nearby to have them wash and style your hair. I'd rather do it myself anyway, so I just pay for the cut.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is one way to save money on a hair cut, you could also go to a hair school and get an inexpensive hair cut along with the shampoo and styling. But since you like to style your own hair it would be best to continue doing it the way you are doing it now.

3. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried to save money by going to a hairdressing school - unless you don't care much for your hair or style, I would really advise against it!!! I am all for saving money but this is an area I have been burned many times. A hair cut is something that can really shape your face, your esteem, and your appearance. Unless you are a teen or young adult, I think this is something every woman should be open to paying decent money for. A good hair cut stays with you every day and everyone sees it, it is worth the money!

I have very thick, straight hair and not a lot of people know how to cut it properly. When I find someone who knows what to do, I know they are worth every penny and feel they actually deserve my money for being so skilled.

To save money I rather cut my family's hair for them. Men's hair is very simple to cut, and children can have simple cuts that look fine on them since they are age appropriate.

4. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a teen or very young (I'm old enough to have a teenage child) but I don't do fussy hair. I wash, brush, no frizz spray and scrunch to help set the waves or occasionally restrain in a ponytail. My hair is long and wavy and thick enough that I like layers to lighten it up. Like Zyni, I typically go to a shop with clean hair so I don't need a shampoo and just get a cut.

With a hairdressing schools, my best results have come from being flexible. Onetime the result was NOT very good; the color wasn't any better than doing it at home and my layers looked awful. The instructor fixed it in a very nice style that was a little shorter overall and then gave me a free coupon to come back for a mani-pedi. *shrugs* It's just hair and it grows back pretty fast.

5. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Actually in order to save money I have gotten to the point where I cut my hair myself. I bought something years ago sort of like a barber comb. Thiis is a comb that comes apart and has two razor blades placed in it. Then when its put back together, can be come through the hair cutting the hair as it goes through it. There are two sides to the comb, one side that cuts more hair off then the other. Due to the fact that my hair tend to be thick when it starts to grow out I tend to cut it with scissors first then run the barber comb through the hair to even it out. This has helpped me to keep my hair short over the years without having to go the a beauty salon.

6. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I cut my own hair now these past few years after many failed attempts at having a decent style and cut from the professional. I am just terrified at the thought of paying money and got a mess out of it. I only have to pay for my son's hair cut and I always come with a coupon. If the hair stylish take time with my son, I gave her better tips, if one that just buzz by, I will only give the minimum tips!

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually have done the beauty school thing before to save on haircuts, especially when my kids were younger. Haircuts for four kids and two adults, really adds up. The school we went to was decent. More times than not, they did a good job. I've had bad haircuts from professionals too, so I'd say it's about even in that regard. There isn't a beauty school near me any longer now though. The one I visited in the past has long since been closed, but thanks for the idea. It may be helpful for someone else.

8. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I believe these money saving ideas are really helpful. I do believe that one can have a better haircut by doing something like that. I would definitely love to try it out. I never knew this was possible and I think it is wonderful.