Saving On Clothing

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by danielle davidson • Jul 8, 2015.

1. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    Do you guys try to wear your clothing as long as you can until you have to buy new clothing? I have a hard time doing that just because I want to get new clothing all the time. I go shopping quite a lot, so I always see clothing that I want. Sometimes it's hard to stop myself from buying the clothing. I would love to buy out some stores just because of how awesome their clothing is, but obviously that won't happen. So, do you like wearing your clothing as long as you can, or just find good deals on clothing?

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a lot of clothes in my closet although my favorites are the casual tops like printed t-shirts. For office attire, it is always the blazer and the slacks. So you can guess that I have a ton of t-shirts and blazers. Those t-shirts, by the way, were mostly bought in our vacation trips abroad and local trips too.

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I tend not to buy new clothing unless I notice there’s a gap in my wardrobe which needs to be filled. Or if I have holiday money/gift cards, haha. But no matter what, I always try to focus on buying things I won’t tire of in a short time. This doesn’t always happen, I’ll admit, but I feel like I’ve made far fewer purchase mistakes in the past few years than I have before. Being able to distinguish my needs from my wants really helps reduce those urges to buy all the new things. So does becoming slightly more minimalist in my aesthetic as I get older (never giving up my leopard print, though).

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm exactly the same as you! I won't lie, I'm a self proclaimed shopaholic. I shop as and when I want to, when I see stuff I like and want, budget permitting of course. I don't wait for my clothes to get old, before I get new items. I love clothes and would even go so far as to say they're my weakness.

5. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I will always keep my clothes for as long as I possibly can before I buy anything new, and even when I get rid of my old ones I will always sell them to a shop that sends them abroad to other countries. I hate to lose money when I could be saving it, so I always do my absolute best to make sure that I use things until I can't anymore. I don't buy many new clothes these days - although I used to at one time - and I know that I feel a heck of a lot better because of that.

6. danielle davidson

Threads:
    It's so hard to go into a store and not want to buy everything. I love the shop H&M just because of how cheap all the clothing is. If I have some spending money then I usually will buy clothing there. Also, Forever 21 is another good store that I like to shop at. Those are both good stores because you can get good clothing for cheap prices. That's the one thing that I hate about Hollister and Abercrombie. They cost so much, that it's almost not worth it to get their clothing.

7. Liv6

Liv6Member

Threads:
    I tend to hold back on shopping until I'm certain that I will get a good deal, whether that's through a coupon in the mail or an online discount. Most of my shopping I tend to do online for this reason. I also search for new clothing during the holiday season due to Black Friday/Cyber Monday and a plethora of gift cards. Yet, it can be difficult sometimes to find what I need during those times as everyone else is competing with me for the same clothes.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    A tactic I employ which has been useful for me for years is to do both. By that, I mean I usually buy two types of clothes, one of which I know I'll be using frequently and will probably be using until it is very old, and one type that I would consider to be luxury and would only use once in a while. This helps me keep the favorite clothes of mine from getting too worn out too quickly and it helps me save since I only use cheaper items to use daily. After some time, I could even consider selling some of the luxury items since they aren't too worn out even after years of ownership.

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a fix date and time for buying clothes but now I'm learning from the error of my ways. I have the propensity to buy on impulse and it's not a healthy habit. These days, I haven't bought much. I just mix different types of clothes so it doesn't feel like I'm wearing clothes repeatedly. Thankfully I have lots of cardigans and denim boleros which can be worn weekly or every other week. I can just change my inner wear or pair the same inner wear with different types of external wear. This method is pretty cost-efficient. You can transform your existing clothes by adding accessories and changing up your hairstyle.

#9Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  10. Lushlala

Threads:
    One of my favourite clothing stores is Zara! I love most of their stuff, and it's mainly because of the quality and the well crafted styles. Many people think it's pricey, but it's not always so. I also like H&M for my casual wear, although you can find some durable little gems in there. I have not really done any shopping with Forever 21, as it reminds me a little of Primark. Not that there's anything wrong with Primark, but I'm just not a huge fan. I also love to shop at TK Maxx (TJ Maxx for the US). I just love to shop for clothes **sigh**. Topshop wins in the shoe department, for me :) the only snag? I can't always afford their shoes.

11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I must be one of the few people who can't stand shopping. I make a big circle around shopping centers, and you can also barely drag me into some independent shop, unless it's a small, alternative venture with natural products. When it comes to clothing, I am fortunate to have a mother-in-law who is a seamstress. All I need to do is buy the fabric for the clothes I want and design them to my heart's desire, and my partner's beautiful mother will magically turn it into exactly what I want.

12. danielle davidson

Threads:
    Wow, some of those stores I had never heard of before, but they sound like they would be good ones. I love shopping so I'm not really opposed to shopping at different stores. If I'm able to find a good deal then I will buy it. I just got free leggings with a purchase that I made at Victoria Secret. It was perfect because I was able to buy the swimsuit that I wanted, and also get some free leggings. I normally just shop in the sale section because that is where you find the best deals. I might be cheap, but I like saving on clothing.

13. Lushlala

Threads:
    Danielle, you sure are a girl after my own heart LOL I too shop in the sale section, before I look at the rest of the stuff in any store. For some reason, people seem to think that Zara is expensive. Maybe because it's a European brand (Spanish) and because they do really well cut, good quality clothes. Very stylish! But you don't know until you've tried it, honestly they do great offers! So it doesn't hurt to go in and have a quick glance at what's on offer every so often. I think it's there in the US, because I'm sure I've seen a website for it. I'd encourage you to go have a look. The accessories are also to die for.

Primark is a UK chainstore, but I don't think it's penetrated the international market just yet, but I could be wrong. I think you'd like it. I'd say it's comparable to H&M, maybe a little step down from H&M. You can sometimes find some amazing gems in there. But because it's so cheap, the queues are ridiculous!

14. danielle davidson

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala Yes! I always go right for the sales, especially when I go to a new store because then you know what kind of prices their clothing will be. I think it's that way with a lot of stores. Even though it might be more on the expensive side, the clothing is good material. And how can you go wrong if you're getting clothing that is good material? Yeah, that sounds like a good website I will have to check that one out. That is pretty cool, it's too bad that they don't have Primark in the U.S. yet that sounds like it would be another great store to check out.

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use to hop alot but not any more. I wear what I have until it is worn out, that is my casual clothes. My work clothes I will replace them as needed. I just don't get the enjoyment out of shopping like I use to. Right now I have some gaps, I need to go shopping soon. The sales should be pretty good prices now.

16. Lushlala

Threads:

I was hoping that you could do some online shopping with Primark, but apparently not :( But nonetheless, have a look at the website:

Sorry to give you a headache LOL They're also very good for basics.

*Eh, how hot is the male model on the home page!? Phwoar hehe ;)

17. danielle davidson

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala Yeah, I was looking at their website and it seems like they have some great clothing! It looks like they have some stuff that I would love to buy. Maybe sometime they will make it so that people in the U.S. can also buy their clothing. I'm sure that they would be able to get great sales from them. There is place in the mall where my boyfriend lives, it's a Chinese shop and it's great. I just got a nice pair of shorts from there and they were about $15 or less I believe. I was so shocked because I have a hard time finding shorts that are nice, like cloth. A lot of the time I will buy clothing from Abercrombie and Hollister, and while they do have good sales on their shorts, most of them are jean and they just don't look nice because they are all ripped. Also, yes cute model!!!

18. Lushlala

Threads:
    Danielle, Isn't it great when you stumble across some great gems in the most unlikely of places?! We also have Chinese stores here which snobbish people won't be seen dead going into, but once in a while I still go in and sometimes I find something, sometimes I don't. That's the beauty of being a shopaholic, you learn to sniff out the best deals. Plus you can't always buy the most expensive stuff. I like to mix it up, depending on the item. For instance, I don't mind some of my basics and lounge wear being cheap.

I do hope Primark makes it over to your side, or they at least set up an online store and ship worldwide some day!

oh, don't get me started on Abercrombie and Hollister....love, love those stores, but I can't always afford to shop there. Same goes for Superdry. Although I sometimes get stuff from the Superdry eBay outlet store for a snippet of the in-store price ;)

ps. I just went on the Abercrombie website, and the deals they have on at the moment are so good I wish I had the money to clean up LOL Very reasonably priced, better than UK prices!

19. danielle davidson

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala Yes, it is very great! I think it's crazy how people think that they can't go into certain stores because of personal beliefs or whatever. It's just crazy, and if the store has good deals, then I will be in it. I don't' care who made the clothing or how cheap it is. I like being able to find good deals, if I can't then I usually won't buy clothing. The best part is that H&M always has the best clothing and it's super cheap. They don't even need to have a deal going on for me to want to buy their clothing. Yeah, sometimes it's just so expensive trying to shop at Abercrombie and Hollister which is why I always go to the sale section! Oh I know, I get texts from them when they say that they are having deals, so I know when the best times to shop there are. One times they had a deal that was so good I was able to get shirts there that were about a dollar and shorts for five. That's an amazing deal if you ask me.

20. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely try to get the most out of my clothing. I wear it until I can no longer wear it anymore, meaning that it needs to get so worn out that I use it as rags to mop the floors with. I don't shop a lot which is good for my wallet because I only buy clothing when I absolutely need to.