Saving on McDonalds

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Peninha • Mar 10, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Is McDonalds a good way to save money on toys/food or is just a big marketing strategy? I know that fast food is not healthy, but now they have soup, fruit, salads and along with a burger it's a pretty decent meal, along with a toy for my kid, at a reasonable price. Or am I wrong?

2. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    Check out the "war" between Burger King and McDonalds. The Big King at Burger King is about a buck cheaper than a Big Mac. They have a good value meal and have Cinabon and other great deserts. I think Burger King tastes fresher and many of the same size burgers come with fresh lettuce, tomatoe and real onion. They also have some great coupons for freebies and buy one, get one.

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    But that is just a war on prices, how many times don't I go to McDonalds because they have the toy and the soup for the kids? That really makes a difference to the parents. I don't think Burger King as soup or fruit right?

4. lavenderblue

lavenderblueMember

Threads:
    Burger King should consider having their own versions of the Happy Meal toys. I know they used to have limited time special toys but I haven't heard about them bringing that back in any big way. McDonalds has changed a lot for the better by offering fruit, fruit smoothies, salads, etc. I think the quality of the healthy food offerings is better at Wendys and Subway but considering your needs, McDonalds seems to be the way to go as far as fast food is concerned.

5. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, I hadn't thought about it that way, as someone with no kids I've always thought of McDonalds as an unhealthy choice, but I guess the soup, salad, and fresh fruit make it a more healthy alternative by comparison.
    Here McDonalds even lets you change the fries for carrot sticks in the Happy Meal which is a great thing for kids.

6. costin

costinActive Member

Threads:
    Lately, I saved some money by ordering a fast breakfast on McDonalds: a coffee and a McChicken, which costs only 1EURO. But if you wish for a complete meal, I think you don`t save money at all. Just think of the coke included, it`s double than the similar product bought from a hypermarket

7. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Eating out is never a good way to save money on food. Sometimes it is necessary to do, but it will almost always be cheaper to make your own food (and healthier in many cases as well). McDonalds isn't even all that cheap anymore - the alternative fast food places are similar in price.

8. RaidAurora

RaidAuroraMember

Threads:
    It depends on what you define as cheap. If there are deals going on, such as that monopoly thing, then you can almost halve the prize of some meals by guessing that your fries will come with a free extra fries. You can certainly eat for ~2 dollars US, but it won't be as filling to one person as it would be to another. A McDouble + fries is fine for me, especially if you get the free water, and 2 bucks is sometimes worth the convenience and taste. Now, if you want to eat right and have the people in your life eat right, you should just buy produce on your own and make snacks out of that that you can eat throughout the day. But if you're in a hurry? Yeah, it's all good.

9. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Now I am envying your stomach costin, I wish I could have coffee and chicken for breakfast lolol! Are you serious, do you really have that for breakfast? I don't think that it's healthy at all, even being as cheap as 1€ you can easily have some bread and milk for the same price.

10. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with Peninha, that McChicken breakfast doesn't seem healthy at all, how much more is a McMuffin? Even if it's slightly more expensive you should consider that instead. Of course even better than that would be making a healthy breakfast at home.

11. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No no, I don't think McDonalds is healthy for breakfast, not in a million years. Not even for the cheapest price I would have my breakfast there, I just hope I will always have money to eat more healthy than that. Sometimes is not even about the money, but the choices we make.

12. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    Well you could have breakfast at a McCafe, I think that's as healthy as any other coffee shop, a muffin and a coffee from there or from anywhere else is the same.

13. RaidAurora

RaidAuroraMember

Threads:
    If you're eating for health purposes, I don't think you should really even look at a McDonald's. Like I said above, buying your own groceries and portioning out snacks and stuff throughout the day can save you a lot of calories and money. But I think this is more about eating cheap and eating with haste. McDonalds is good for both of those if you're in a pinch, and if you don't really care about weight loss or personal health beyond doctoral recommendations, then go for it.

14. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    We rarely go to McDonald's anymore however you do get a good deal I think. It's very bad for you but it seems like everything is anymore. My kids love the toys which eventually end up in the trash but it is nice getting a little something with food for them to play with if only for a brief time. I had no idea they had soup? I went to one McDonald's in Hawaii where they had Hot Dog happy meals which was something new, I had never seen that before. I will have to look for soup. The last time I tried one of there salads it was pretty nasty. I like there fish sandwiches and there cheeseburgers. My kids love chicken nuggets and cheeseburgers.

15. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think McDonald's is a bad thing if you only eat it every now and then. If you've only got $10 and need to feed two people, you can get a few things off the Dollar Menu and end up pretty full.

As for breakfast, I think the Egg McMuffins aren't too bad, actually. The fruit and yogurt parfaits are pretty healthy, as are the apple dippers, etc. There are some reasonably healthy choices there, but I don't think you should make a habit out of eating there all the time or anything.

16. costin

costinActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I couldn`t agree more to your saying;)
    I don`t eat at McDonald`s all day, there are months when I forget to pass to see what`s new, but when I`m low on budget, McDonald`s meals are a solution

17. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, I have to agree with that. I usually go to McDonalds once or twice per month at the most, it's not the healthiest food as we all know, but they are making an effort to introduce some healthy elements. I never have my breakfast out so I'm not trying McDonald's anytime soon.

18. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    What do you usually have for breakfast at home Peninha? Do you go for a healthy meal or do you just get something in a rush?

19. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually eat bread at home and I also prepare the same for my kids, we're not exactly taking our time, but I do spend the necessary time with breakfast because I think it's a really important meal, I would not take it at McDonalds!

20. bms00

bms00Member

Threads:
    The value meals at McDonald's have crept up in price to where they now cost six or seven dollars. At that price I'd far rather get some real food at Chipotle, Panera Bread, or a local place. I do save money about once a week by getting lunch from the McDonald's dollar menu. Either two McChickens for $2, or one McChicken and one McDouble for $2.35. The sandwiches aren't bad and that meal keeps me full until dinner which is fine at that price.

One thing I recommend is if you go to McDonald's during an off peak time, ask them to make you a new sandwich. There's a huge quality difference between a new sandwich and one that's been sitting out. McDonald's employees usually make this exact request when they order for themselves, so they won't be put off if you ask for the same thing.