Saving on shampoo

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Peninha • Jul 4, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A Neat way to save money on shampoo and also save some time is to shave your head. I am not saying this to women of course, but actually many men can look good and save time and money at the same time. Is this something you would consider doing? If you're a woman, do you enjoy men that have a shaved hair or do you find them strange?

2. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I actually saved on shampoo (a lot) when I decided to have a really short hair. Though saving on shampoo was not really the goal when I got my hair cut. I suffered from a mild hair loss and I thought it best to just have a short hair.

As for men with shaved head, I don't find it strange but maybe because it's getting to be a trend for some men, even in the movies. But twenty years ago, I did find it unnatural. :)

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Even with my hair short I'm still using the same amount of shampoo. Why? I'm loving the smell and feel of shampoo so I never stopped using it :D
    But I have to agree. With short hair you really save on shampoo and other hair care products, plus the showers are a lot faster/shorter.

4. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    I switched away from using Shampoo and went a more natural route with apple cider vinegar sprays.
    At first it's a horrible transition as you're not used to it and neither is your hair -- it will overproduce oil. However, if you can stick it out your hair may never have looked better.

Now, this isn't for everyone as there are various different hair types, but it may be worth looking into.

5. ragtimeannie

ragtimeannieActive Member

Threads:
    A year ago, I stopped bleaching my hair and started growing it out so that I could cut off the damaged, bleached parts. Then I got all the bleached hair cut off so that my hair was really short, and I stopped using a blow dryer.

Now I wash my hair in a little baking soda every other day and rinse it in apple cider vinegar afterwards. After a few weeks, my hair started feeling really soft and healthy. I love my baking soda/apple cider vinegar regimen -- it's cheap, effective, and natural!

6. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    How does apple cider vinegar clean your hair? Do you use it on a daily basis? I would be afraid that my head would be a big greaseball! Does it clean out things like gels and hairsprays?

7. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Hahahaha. I find men attractive with or without hair. Although when I think about I tend to gravitate for guys with shave heads. At least my past boyfriends all had shaved heads. I told a friend once I wanted to shave my head. She is really into spirituality and astrology. She started asking all these deep spiritual questions. My reply was, "I want to shave to my head because I am tired of washing my hair."

8. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's really interesting to know, I had no idea that baking soda and apple cider could help the hair's health. I did know that cutting the hair short makes it stronger, so there are a lot of benefits really and we do save a lot of money by having it short, considering we don't have too much cold in the winter... :D I am all for natural stuff!

9. limitless1585

limitless1585Member

Threads:
    I don't look good with shaved hair, but I am going to try baking soda instead of shampoo. I don't like my head to get burned from the sun too. Some people use only water, so shampoo isn't necessary.

10. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used my head shaved a few years ago, but I don't do it anymore because my hair is very strong and it simply doesn't stay down, meaning, as soon as it start growing it looks like those Russians very high hats and I look somewhat ridiculous.

I've washed my hair with clay though, and I have never felt it so smooth in my life.

11. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not a big fan of bald men although I do agree that some of them look quite handsome that way. Shampoo is one thing I don't save on much unless I have a coupon. I don't mind though. I consider my hair to be one of my best qualities so I will pay to take care of it.

12. IrishLad

IrishLadNew Member

Threads:
    I'm a man. I only use shampoo when my hair is long (like it is now), it is rare for me to have long hair though. Usually I have a crew cut because it requires basically no maintenance. I don't need to use shampoo when my hair is that short either, as it is so easy to wash out with just water.

13. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's what I am talking about IrishLad, I've been seeing more and more men with their head almost shaved and I asked one of them (my friend lol) why was he wearing it like that and he just said it's way more convenient, just wake up, no need to wash or comb and you're ready to go.

14. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find shaved heads really attractive in men and women. But to be honest, I have never really associated it with saving on shampoo. :)
    A lot of men tell me that they don't like their receding hairline or the fact that they are bolding, so an "elegant" solution is to completely shave off all hair. I think women tend to do it because they like to be different, or for some charity reason.

15. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, if we are talking about women with shaved head that is a little more strange and it doesn't happen often. I want to be equal to both men and women, but I believe that women will not look as good with their heads shaved as men and socially they wouldn't be accepted I think. They would save a whole more money than men if they did it though! :)

16. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I just had my haircut because I really want to cut down my expenses and I couldn't cut it down for hygiene so to keep myself hygienic while I save, I think the best way to do it is cut down bodily aesthetics like my long hair. It's really costly to wash it given that it's long.

17. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LOL, are you serious 003, you've cut your long hair just to save money on shampoo? I don't know if I could do that, I mean, I notice than when I cut my hair I spend a lot less, but changing the way I look just to save on shampoo I don't know if I could do it. Sure, in case of extreme need I just might, I would prefer hygiene and saving over anything else.

18. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    That is interesting, personally I just try to buy what is on sale. The last few times I've gone into Walgreens or the super market I've found a shampoo that is useable and has cost either half price, or has been close to $1 per bottle. I don't bother with the high priced shampoos, and just deal with what smells good and is cheap.

19. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also enjoy buying promotions, but I can't do it because I have sensitive skin in my hair and I need to use shampoo against dandruff and not just any shampoo. I wish my hair could be like yours and I could buy anything, but unfortunately it's not the case. I do notice that in the summer I am better, maybe because the air is drier I don't know.

20. ragtimeannie

ragtimeannieActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think the vinegar cleans as much as clarifies and makes it look more shiny. The baking soda does the cleaning work, what cleaning needs to be done, which isn't as much cleaning power as you get when you use shampoo. The shampoo will clean your hair all right -- and then strip its natural oils that it needs to be healthy!

I use a little bit of mousse on most days to style my hair, and sometimes I'll use some gel or hairspray if I want to look especially fancy, and I've had no trouble getting those out just with baking soda and water. Everything I use on my hair is gentle and free of sulfates and silicates. I also gave up the curling iron and blow dryer, which has resulted in a lot less split ends.