Saving on your electric bill can be as cheap and as easy as using a paint roller

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by messlisa • Jan 4, 2014.

1. messlisa

messlisaNew Member

Threads:
    White roofs as apposed to black or darker colored roofs, takes up to 40% less energy to cool in sunny climates. The statistics show an estimated savings of over $100 a year in cooling costs. You can find elastomeric coating at any Hardware Store, they are very affordable and easy to apply. All you need is a heavy-duty paint roller and an able working body.

2. dorann

dorannMember

Threads:
    Now that is something that I've never heard before, but it sure does make sense. It really does make a person wonder why we do not regularly see white roofs.

3. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    That does seem like a logical and low cost alternative to replacing a roof. I wonder why there are not contractors or companies suggesting this?

4. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Any proven record out there? If what it claims is true I don't mind giving my roof a paint job. I get to save money and have a great workout at the same time. Which stores sell this type of coat?

5. wahcashmom

wahcashmomNew Member

Threads:
    I did not know that, now day everyone needs ways to save on bills. My aunt has a light colored roof and her electric bill is always cheaper than mine and her house is much bigger. This might be something I end up doing this summer to save.

6. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    But do they not absorb less heat in winter? I never spend any money on cooling my house, only heating in winter. I suppose this is a good idea for those living in somewhere like Australia. Those of us in Northern Europe and Canada are more likely to want to do everything to keep ours houses as warm as possible.