Savings At Aldi?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by guineapigsandgardens • Feb 4, 2015.

1. guineapigsandgardens

guineapigsandgardensMember

Threads:
    Are the savings that you get from Aldi really worth it? I did a comparison shopping trip with my significant other and I noticed that Aldi doesn't save me much more money than shopping at Wal-mart or Winco.

My question for you is, have your trips to Aldi been worth the hassle?

2. SweetMamaKaty

SweetMamaKatyActive Member

Threads:
    What do you find to be a hassle about shopping at Aldi? I guess that's where you have to decide for yourself if you want to shop there. For me it doesn't feel like a hassle, so I only see the savings. :)

So many stores have U-Scans that bagging my own groceries doesn't really feel like a shock anymore. I like reusing cloth shopping bags, because I feel it's better for the environment. Then comes the issue of the carts... I guess that is a bit of a stretch for many people. If it's too big a hassle to take it back up to the store, it could be left the parking lot as a "treat" for the next shopper. Most trips I save more than 25 cents by shopping there, so the quarter wouldn't concern me too much.

I think it's all about mindset - if you "want" to like it, the things that seem like they could be a hassle kind of disappear. :)

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, Katy. I know people who don't like it though. To each his/her own. I do save a lot of money at Aldi, but I guess it depends on what types of things you buy as well. The one I go to now has a lot more specialty items, and those add up quickly. For everyday stuff, I save quite a bit.

I just wish I had one closer to me. I do try to make it there at least once per month though.

4. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    Aldi is not a hassle at all for me. My only complaint is that the store is too small. It makes browsing the aisles difficult because there is often someone behind you who needs to get past. The amount of money I save in comparison to other grocery and market stores is outstanding. If I can get something from Aldi, I will, regardless of whether I am right by a different store.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I can certainly save money at Aldi - there are certain items they carry there which are either much larger for the same price and/or they are far cheaper overall. For example, they have really large containers of spices for only $1 each. I would pay like $3.50 - $5 a piece for a small container of McCormick or Durkee brand spices at a regular grocery store. They also have jarred pasta sauces for $1 each, which would often cost around $4-$6 a piece depending on the brand at the big chain grocery store. Their fresh pizzas are huge too, and about a buck or two cheaper than what I pay elsewhere.

Perhaps you are buying too many prepared/processed food items where the prices aren't as competitive?

The other nice thing about Aldi is it helps keep me from making a ton of impulse buys, by not having such a huge selection.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind Aldi, but I hate shopping there as they don't always have everything on my shopping list. I know the brands they carry are good quality, but sometimes you just want something you're familiar with. I don't mind it if I'm picking up a few supplies. Overall, my store of choice is Waitrose online when I can afford it, otherwise I'm very happy with Sainsbury's. Many people think it's pricey, but it's actually very reasonable.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some items at Aldi do save you more and others a few pence, but it all adds up. I end up spending more time in other stores calculating what is better values size wise, bu tin Aldi you know everything is good value. I tend to pick up basics and then look at the specials as those can be a real bargain. Here in the UK Aldi quality is better than many of the main generic supermarket brands and so that's what has helped their popularity grow.

8. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    Aldi is a great creation. It's far better these days than it used to be many years ago. I'm happy to say that I have shopped in Aldi from time to time (unfortunately there isn't one anywhere near me at the moment). It's not for everyone but I've saved a bit of money.

9. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    I will always come out to defend my little Aldi! I don't know why so many people question it and whether it is a good deal or not. Perhaps there are regional differences. But where I live the prices are a good 15-20% lower than Walmart. In my opinion the main areas that have the best deals are the chips, cereals, eggs, butter, all their cheeses, and freezer section items. Also the weekly/monthly deals can be good, especially when they are clearing them out. And I really haven't found any other store with such fresh German imports, if you like German foods. You can't get everything there, but as a regular bargain shopper, that doesn't bother me in the least.

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Bagging your own groceries is something you should know how to do anyhow as in the UK and many other countries you don't get it! Even when people have bagged my groceries I repack them to how I like. As for carts, I don't use them, but yes, it can be a pain if you don't have a coin, but it's not as if they are charging you to use it, unlike some stores who charge for bags now. I do reuse my own, but for some people they forget or are less organized.

11. MoneyMan

MoneyManMember

Threads:
    To me, Aldi has saved my wallet from becoming extremely thin. It is also the fact that I live fairly close to one here in New Jersey. Although the brand might not be the same, the product will still taste similar.

12. BargainPhoenix

BargainPhoenixMember

Threads:
    Aldi's is good for certain things but I wouldn't do all of my grocery shopping there. Once I wanted to make a seafood salad with shrimp, artificial crab meat, albacore tuna and red peppers and onions. I got all of the ingredients down to the frozen shrimp for a total of $13 and some change. That was awesome.

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you save at Aldi's when you shop, you know going into the store that you will not get everything you need there but you can get the basics. I know the coffee is cheaper at Aldi's than most larger stores. I don't care about the .25, most of the time I just give someone I see going into the store the cart along with the .25.

14. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't shop exclusively at Aldi's, because it is not located close to where I live; but when I am going that direction, then I usually do stop at Aldi's and shop. I agree that having to have a quarter handy every time you shop there is a nuisance; but the savings is definitely worthwhile. Their home brands seem to be as good as the more expensive name brands , at least for the most part, the fruit and vegetables are always fresh, and well-priced.
    If there was an Aldi's closer to me, I would probably shop there every week.

15. CyberGal

CyberGalMember

Threads:
    I think I'm going to need to start stopping at Aldi before going to the chain store in my area. It's on the way and I could buy meat and produce there for less I'm sure. I don't like a lot of their brand name stuff though. While I do eat a lot of generic, Aldi just doesn't taste right to me. It probably would pay off though and maybe I'll find some brand name stuff to use too.

16. reubhole1

reubhole1Member

Threads:
    Where I am Aldi and other stores are almost the same price. The big savings come when you know about an offer, so the best strategy is to be aware of offerings by different supermarkets and take advantage by stocking up on those items.

17. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    There was a time when Aldi was my go to shopping destination. However, they are dramatically different now than they were around 5 years ago. Crazy gradual price increases make it frustrating to now make sure I comparison shop everything. There was a time this was my one stop shop. Not anymore.

18. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1Member

Threads:
    Yes they have. I shop there at least once a week. I only buy produce there and I do save money, and being that I'm vegan on a budget, every dollar counts. I save a lot on avocados and other fruit. I can't speak about the savings for the other items there.

19. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I frequent ALDI regularly for pantry staples and fresh produce. I have found that items used for baking from scratch, such as flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, etc. are priced much lower at ALDI than at the other grocery stores, even when comparing ALDI prices to the other grocer's sale prices. The ALDI store in my area rotates produce regularly, which is great because the produce is always fresh and usually cheaper than the other grocer's sale price. I have found that organic baby carrots, celery, Russet potatoes, and yellow onions are cheapest at ALDI, and often times there are other fruits and vegetables priced well below other stores. For example, last week we picked up 2 jack-o-lantern pumpkins for only 1.99 each! I sometimes buy dairy products at ALDI, for example gallons of milk are typically around $2 each, and often times neufchatel cheese (low fat cream cheese) is $1.

Another great thing I love about ALDI is that I don't need to spend time clipping coupons and checking sales prices before I go! Also, the store is much smaller than the large supermarkets, so I find myself in-and-out of the store in less time!

20. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that some people don't see Aldi's as being more economical than Walmart and such. I mean, I get that some items may only be a few cents cheaper, but I find that overall, it really adds up.

Maybe it's because I don't shop Aldi's all the time. When I go, it's usually to stock up on things, since I don't have one nearby. When I spend a couple hundred bucks at Aldi, I come home with far more than I would if I spent the same amount at Walmart or the local grocery stores.