Savings Plan: Online, Local Bank, Big Name Bank?

Discussion in Savings & Investments Plans started by ValerieAnne • May 17, 2012.

1. ValerieAnne

ValerieAnneMember

Threads:
    Do you use an online bank (such as Ally) or a regular bank for your savings account? I personally use Ally for my savings account. That way I know I can't run down the street to a bank and withdraw money. Haha. Plus the interest rate is more at Ally than it is at my local bank.

2. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I use ING. I started it when the interest rates were much higher than they are. Now they're almost as low as my regular bank.

3. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I use ally for an online savings account, when I started the interest rates were super high but now its almost the same as my regular bank so I am thinking of withdrawing the money. My rate is .84%, how about everyone else?

4. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    I have an online bank in Canada (ING Direct) and a big bank in Canada. I need both but love ING so much more. I don't get interest with my big bank; at ING I do!

In the US, I'm with a very small regional bank. The service is lovely but I don't really make any interest and their online banking is reallly weak.

5. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I use a major bank here in my country for my savings. I used to do my banking with a local rural bank here in our town but I transferred because the bank looks like its going to close. Better be safe than never right? Anyways, this is the first time that I have heard of (ALLY). How do you do banking with them? I'm pretty interested with it since I'm still looking for a bank that I can use for my PayPal money.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a savings with ING. At one time, the interest was pretty decent. Now, it sucks. I still have my savings account because I like their service and I have a checking and sharebuilder account there.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use a regular local bank, but I manage my account online. Bank of America has a type of checking account called eBanking where as long as you do all your banking online or through ATM's, and don't use a teller, you don't have a monthly maintenance fee. I don't like to go into the bank, so it works for me.

8. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    I have a local savings account in my country too. I use a reloadable U.S. debit card to access money from my Paypal Account. Ally is an online bank, which is for U.S. citizens or U.S. residents, which means you need a U.S. address and a social security number to apply. Furthermore, I don't think they're taking anymore applications online.