scams and how to avoid them.

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by A.P.W. • Oct 8, 2012.

1. A.P.W.

A.P.W.Member

Threads:
    lets face it, we have all been looking to make some extra money online, we have tried to use the get rich quick schemes out of curiosity. There is hope out there for those who want to make money online, The Wealthy Affiliate is a site that checks out all scam's and lets you know if what you have found is legit. I have looked at the lists of scams and what to avoid out there on the web, there are so many, there are literally lists containing hundreds of known and reported scams.

Be sure to check anything out that you are not sure of and that ask you for money upfront. Legitimate work opportunities do not charge for cd's or dvd's or endless books with all the so called 'answers' to your financial problems. Be very wary of this sort of thing. Also look carefully at your spam folder, do not open anything from anyone that you do not know.

2. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you would have to be fairly stupid to fall for a scam. A little research before you commit to the offer and you will be able to determine whether it is a scam or not. Most of the job offers online are scams, unfortunately there are some stupid people who fall for it.

3. vaericke

vaerickeNew Member

Threads:
    First of all, before entering into an opportune investment of some sort, You must always check the site by typing it and taking a look whether the site is legitimate or not. It is easy to find scam sites but a bit harder to find legitimate sites since not most of the money making websites out there have been tested by many people. Always keep your money intact and never fall for offers which are really outrageous and hard to believe. Well have fun making money online the legitimate way. God bless.

4. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I have been scammed couple of times because I am fund of investing money for HYIPs before. It's like that I don;t know that HYIPs often scam but it is a risk that I know I should take. I got scammed but I would still say that most of the HYIPs I have joined I got profit. It is with the timing. Taking risk is part of making money be it on the internet or offline. It depends on you if you think you have the guts or you just want to play it safe.

5. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the sites promises you to earn money yet requires you to pay some sort of amount will almost likely be scam. For instance, the site offer you a job but ask money before you can have to job or simply wants you to do something other than sending your resume is something to think about..

6. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I wouldn't hand over money if i went for a job in a store, so why should I pay to work online? That's what I always tell myself, and it's kept me clear of quite a few of the scams that other people have fallen for. Just remember, if it sounds too good to be true, then it most probably is. Switch off your 'desperate' function when you read those type of emails and you'll be okay.

7. taskeinc

taskeincMember

Threads:
    I agree, and that's the way I've always looked at working from home, off the Internet. Just like Sandra says, when you interview for a job the traditional way, you don't pay, so why should applying for a job online be any different? Furthermore, if this person or company is legit, they would be providing a service and would be willing to pay me to work for their company.

I figure, I need a job, so why in the world are you asking me for money, with a flimsy promise that I can triple the money I have paid you, and you really have no product? All you have is a pyramid scheme. If there is a product, it's usually some fly-by-night piece of crap, or pieces of crap.

I'm sure many of you have had friends and neighbors try to sell you on some idiotic online pseudo-product that they have bought into. They seem almost desperate to try to get you to buy into it.

THANKS, but NO THANKS .. let me know how it turns out, or let me know when you are at the point where you can quit your day job.

What's funny is, two months later, they've gotten involved in some other get-rich-quick-scam.

#7Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  8. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    The newest email scam I see now is fake job offers. I am inundated with messages from people claiming they are contacting me about a job I applied for. The one I see most says I have been hired as someone's personal assistance and need to fill out and return my paperwork. I just delete them all unopened.

9. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    The best way to avoid scams is not to click on links that are present in the emails, even if they point to reputed sites. Type the website's address in the address bar to visit the site and check about the offer details that are mentioned in the mail. More often than not, scammers send such mails and when their people click on the links, their computer becomes infected with spyware.

You can also check the genuineness of email by searching for email sender, their phone numbers, email text and other details in Google. Chances are that other people have also received such mails and are already discussing about it.

Finally be vigilant while you are surfing online, don't click on every deal or offer that you come across. It is better to be suspicious than be sorry later.

10. BrentTellie101

BrentTellie101New Member

Threads:
    If what you are being offered seems too good to be true, there is a bigger possibility that it is a scam. If you are unsure, you can always check on the internet some reviews and testimonials about a particular product or services. Don't be fooled by earning huge amount of money without exerting any effort.

11. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The best way to avoid a scam is to trust your instinct. If it looks dodgy then it probably. I have been tempted by scams in the past, they make great offers which seem too good to be true, that's their strategy for pulling victims in.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thank you for sharing that website, I'll check that out when I intend to join any website that looks shady to me. I always believe that you don't have to pay money in order to earn money when looking for a job or ways to earn online. It's like in the real world where you don't have to pay when you apply for a job, you just show up, pass the screening, and get interviewed. That's the same principle I apply when looking for ways to earn online so that I wouldn't be deceived.

13. taskeinc

taskeincMember

Threads:
    It's usually a scam if it's asking for money with a flimsy product. A product that they want you to try to peddle, the more people you get to buy this rather useless product, they become your downline, which really doesn't amount to much. Another way to quickly determine if who or what you are dealing with is a scam is if you hear that some of the people involved have "quit their day jobs" or are about to resign. If these people made so much money, legitimate money, more people would have heard about it. The "get-rich-quick-schemes" are nothing but pyramid scams that attempt to dupe the novice online marketer out of his hard earned cash.

14. MrsR

MrsRMember

Threads:
    I agree, if a job website is asking me for money, then it is not a legitimate job. When I am looking for an online job, I always do a lot of research first and read all I can about the company before I even sign up. There are just too many scammers out there and you just can't be too careful.

15. Carlalexander

CarlalexanderMember

Threads:
    I wouldn't agree less, basically any program or product that promises to give you a lot for little or no money or work on your part should sound all the alarm bells in your brain.

16. Carlalexander

CarlalexanderMember

Threads:
    That's true, and even some emails claiming that you have won say $500 or even $5000 for a game or tournament that you have clearly never heard of, let alone played.

17. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    Exactly what others have said. Trust your instinct. Don't hand over your money to just anyone. In fact, why pay to work online in the first place. The only money I have ever paid anywhere is maybe and upgrade to VIP status or something, and I only do that on the money I've already earned from that site.

18. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    There are so many work at home jobs online that if you just look at their site you will just smell a scam. I have been scammed once and swear never to fall into that trap again. If a site claims to offer me work and it is asking for payment, then I just know that it is a scam already.

19. Athena02

Athena02Member

Threads:
    I only have two advices for people looking to work online:

1. If it seems too good to be true, it most likely is. No beginner is going to earn hundreds of dollars in a day right after they start.
    2. If you have to pay before actually getting any work, its most likely a scam. Most legit sites only ask for their percentage/fees after you get paid.

I've been working online for years now, and trust me its not easy at all when you start. It takes lots of hard work to actually see some decent income.

20. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Any site that is offering programs on how to make easy money without doing a lot of work then they are just a scam. There is no way you can thousands of dollars for just posting ads even an online newbie will smell something is not right. I tend not to buy this online programs that claim that you can make a lot of money with little work.