Scented candles

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Strykstar • Oct 17, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Do you use scented candles around your house?
    I'm not a big fan to be honest, but my wife usually has one or two lit, especially after she's finished cooking.
    I don't really notice much of a smell difference and it just seems like a fire hazard to me, what do you guys think?

2. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    I own two cats with teeny bladders, so scented candles are a must in my household. Although the litter is changed regular and is scented, I still find the need for scented candles to be a must in various places of my apartment. I also enjoy various scents to match the seasons to get myself into 'the mood' of winter, fall, spring, etc... It's a nice little pick-me-up that I treat myself to that's vague, yet still distinguishable.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have the scented candles that are already in a glass from the dollar store, so they aren't a fire hazard. They are nice to have around and easy to maintain. The added bonus is afterwards there is no candle wax to clear up and you can use the glass afterwards for other things like a pen pot.

4. plantain

plantainMember

Threads:
    I do not burn them much anymore because of the potential health hazards. Paraffin wax can give off a lot of soot and toxic volatile compounds. The synthetic fragrances can be irritating sometimes and make me sneeze. Although, I will light them sometimes, because they are good for quickly clearing food smells etc. out of a room. But, I will always have the window open, and won't burn them for hours. I prefer to burn Nag Champa incense although honestly with all that smoke it is probably just as bad.

5. Hamz10

Hamz10Member

Threads:
    I have a few nice scented candles that I brought from Ikea. They smell very nice and are cheap. They set the mood for the nights and make a lovely glow! I just can't sleep with them on because I don't want to set my house on fire!

6. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love scented candles. I started using them less, because I keep hearing how unhealthy they are. Some of them smell really good, but I'm guessing that the ones with the most fragrance are probably the most unhealthy ones. They are usually expensive also. A friend of mine had one that smelled like fresh baked cookies, and it seriously made her whole house smell like she just got done baking. You'd walk in and look for cookies. She had expensive taste too, so I'll bet she paid a lot for it, but yeah, it smelled wonderful.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm always curious and can't help trying out some products. Much as I find fancy scents to be somewhat irritating, I occasionally light a scented candle in my bedroom to give it an "alien" smell. But since they cost a little bit more than ordinary candles and I don't need romantic settings, these days I prefer using a fragrance stick for the scent.

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I love scented candles. They are very relaxing. We always have a one ready to use at home, and we light one each night, just for the scent and whenever my grandmother prays. When I was young, I actually look forward to praying every day because of the candles that would be lit. I really like the scent, and the ambiance that it gives. And about the fire hazard, we don't think it would be at all hazardous especially if you would take good look at the candles with it is lit and if there's just one that you use at a time.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Scented candles are an extra that I don't usually spend money on. They are nice but I'd rather spend money on groceries or paying off debt, so I only burn scented candles when someone gives me one as a gift. I've seen scented candles in stores that cost up to $17. I can't justify spending almost $20 on something that is going to burn up and disappear.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I love them and I used to buy a lot of them especially scented oils but after a while I just lost interest and it was too much of a hazard for me keeping them lit indoors anyway since my house is carpeted. I may get back into it someday if I move to a big enough place where I can light them up in a more practically designed room, but for now I'll just stick to perfumes.