Scratched Cds / Dvds

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by SLTE • Sep 27, 2015.

1. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    I'm sure most people looking at this particular subforum have, at some point in their life, suffered from scratched disc syndrome. Either you've purchased a used CD or DVD that was somehow damaged, or you... did the damaging yourself. Regardless, it needs to be fixed, and you are the fixer. How do you repair your scratched CDs and DVDs? Home remedies are welcome, regardless of how bizarre they are, assuming they actually worked.

I bought a repair kit, myself. Squirt a bit of special gel on the disc, then put it in a disc tray and let it spin for a little while until the gel settles. It worked well enough. The disc could at least play from that point on, where it couldn't before, though some bits of the movie were a little garbled.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Except once, I've never tried to "fix" a scratched CD or DVD but I've heard that wax can be great for that job. It fills the holes left by the scratches and maybe, just maybe it might for a little while solve the problem.

I tried it once and it didn't work. The results I suppose vary from individual to individual.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have heard of a lot of remedies for scratched CDS even including using banana peel and peanut butter to fix the CD strangely enough. I guess if you are really wanting to fix the CD you will try anything. I have tried the banana peel thing which helped. I also have used little packets I got at the dollar store which also helped.

4. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    The only one I've used for scratched CDs is alcohol. Sometimes it did work, other times it didn't. I did have some badly scratched DVDs though that I was able to revive by using alcohol. They played well enough for a long time. But then our DVD player gave up on us and so I don't really know now if my DVDs will still play.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a couple of scratched CD's with some really rare and special songs on them, and they will just about play sometimes. Other times they will not/do not play for me at all. I have downloaded software that is supposed to play scratched CD's and assist you in copying the songs to your computer in a way that sounds clean digitally, but even that did not work.