Screen Protectors For Cell Phones

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Spudfyre • Aug 24, 2012.

1. Spudfyre

SpudfyreNew Member

Threads:
    As an accessory buyer for cell phones, I have the pleasure of testing a number of screen protectors for cellular devices.
    The first question probably asked is, 'Do I even need one?"
    My answer is always yes. A typical cell phone's display will cost approx $125 to repair/replace and even more if it is a touch screen if the electronics get damaged. Even devices with Gorilla glass will scratch. Most scratches to our cell phone screens come from innocent bumps. I can remeber buying a brand new HTC One X and taking it out of the box on my bed. I took my belt off and in the process the Buckle hit my screen and left a big ding in it. All could have been avoided with a screen protector.
    My advice, when you buy a cellphone, make sure they put a screen protector on it! Most dealers will install the screen protector with free installation, especially when you buy a new phone. If you negotiate hard enough, they may even discount the screen protector.

In the market, everything covering a screen is called a screen protector. However, only a few actually will make your screen virtually indestructible, while most of the others will only cover your screen from finger prints and light scratches. Here are the most popular and toughest protectors out there:

1. iShieldz by far is the real deal for full screen protection. Military grade protection that is invincible (yes invincible) to scratches. By far the easiest to apply of all screen protectors. The company put out a new dry roll on applicator, that makes putting a screen protector on idiot proof. Believe me, I'm an idiot when it comes to applying screen protectors. Once the screen protector is on your device it is almost invisible and touch screens are unaffected.

2. Wrapsol makes the top 3 of the list because it is an simple dry application with adequate protection. Wrapsol isn't as tough as iShieldz but would rank as very good scratch protection. Wrapsol also makes full body clear wraps, so that the entire phone is protected. No need for a case and keeps the phone slim and light. Wrapsol's are very transparent but that transparency is at the cost of thickness and protection, albeit this trade-off is well balanced.

3. TRU screen protectors offer the ability to pull the screen protector off and re-apply it as many times as you like without any real trouble in comparison to the others. TRU is probably the clearest of the lot, but it is also the most difficult to apply and get perfect. It typically takes me 2-3 attempts to get a TRU screen protector on without any air bubbles. Don't let that small incovenience stop you from purchasing TRU. Tru offers anti-glare, clear and HD versions. I find the TRU work best with the Apple Retina screen, for phones with the Amoled screens, I'd choose the iShieldz. TRU is typically the most inexpensive to purchase of the 3 screen protectors, so if you are on a budget look for TRU as it probably offers the best value of the three.

A few buying tips:
    1. Buy from a wireless dealer. Most wireless dealers will install for free, and if they don't ask! If you push them hard enough they will do it. The advantage of having the dealer install it, is that the dealer can replace the protector if they bungle the installation attempt.
    2. Ask before you buy. Ask the retailer what their return policy is if they make you install the screen protector. All manufacturers of screen protectors offer the retailers the ability to return them if the damage is caused at installation - even by the customer.
    3. Ask the seller what screen protector they have on their phone and try it. Screen protectors have different feels and one may feel better to you than another.
    4. Stay away from inexpensive screen protectors. You get what you pay for and the $5 screen protectors are nothing more than plastic wrap that will not protect your screen and will likely distort or interfere with the screen.
    5. Look for "military grade". These are the toughest and come from the original lineage/patent developed for the military.

2. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    Awesome review!

I have a military grade screen protector and it really is great. I bought a 2 or 3 pack 12 months ago. And I'm still on the first screen protector. It doesn't peel off and my BlackBerry screen is in perfect shape.

It was worth every penny.

3. sergiu23

sergiu23Active Member

Threads:
    I also got a screen protector for my Galaxy S 2 years ago when I bought it. It still holds on very well and it has really protected my phone from dirt and scratches. It was cheap, 10$ or so.

4. Mama2three

Mama2threeMember

Threads:
    Thank you for taking time to share. I actually need to get a good screen protector for my iPad. I had one, but my LED went out and Apple gave me a new ipad instead of fixing it. With that, I lost the screen protector I had put on it. Your reviews will help me make a wise decision in purchasing a new one.

5. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I actually am shopping around for screen protectors for my iPhone and this review has been incredibly informative and insightful. Needless to say it is much more expensive to repair a broken screen than it is to just protect it from the start. Thanks for the post!

6. Marchese

MarcheseMember

Threads:
    i don't use one....probably should but i don't. I hate the look and feel of it. I have a pretty decent case for my iphone, but no screen protector.