Seasonal Gifts

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by SLTE • Nov 3, 2015.

1. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    My wife and her mother have a tradition every year. Whenever Christmas rolls around they always buy each other a Christmas ornament, among their other presents, and that's always the first box that gets opened on both sides. The ornament then becomes part of the overall collection, gets hung up for a few days, and then goes into a box for the rest of the year.

I'm fine with the tradition. I don't participate, but I'm fine with it. That said, I don't get the point of purchasing gifts that are so seasonal that you'll only get to use them for, like, a month. Maybe two. Yet I see family and friends buying seasonal gifts for each other all the time - and I'm not talking useful stuff like swim trunks or winter jackets. I mean wreaths, and Santa figurines, and cornucopias, and Christmas-themed jewelry, and... so forth.

What's your opinion on seasonal gifts? Are they a good idea or a waste of money?

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I think seasonal gifts are fun. If you can afford it seasonal gifts are one best way to connect with family and friends. Seasonal gifts are a way to say, hi long time no see and I'm looking forward to hearing from you. It's a fun way to keep in touch and being part of an activity that you and someone else participates in is a good way to keep in touch.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think it's not a waste if they find enjoyment in it. I've received a lot of practical gifts that I don't end up using and I think those are a lot more of a waste because they just sit in the garage all year round, whereas the ornaments at least get months of use. It also probably provides them with good memories and those are priceless, especially considering the ornaments probably don't cost that much anyway, or at least they don't cost as much as many other priceless memories like out of town vacations.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When it's a tradition, no matter what it costs it shouldn't be broken because if the seasonal gifts evoke good memories or create new memories which will be just as good then as long as the memories make someone happy then money spent on that gift isn't wasted.

Personally I never buy a gift which someone will keep in a closet or on a shelf for months. While I wouldn't call that wasted money [say if I bought someone some Christmas decorations] I'd like to know that something I bought is being put to good use all year round until its worn out.

5. JoyF

JoyFNew Member

Threads:
    Oh yeah.. It's fun all the time. After October it feels like season of festivity. For upcoming thanksgiving day I'm getting ready for some new seasonal gifts ideas. *high five*

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think they're not totally a waste of money, but I think that it can be limited to up to 3 seasonal gifts only per person. I would like to give something more practical like a wallet or bag for example rather than giving a seasonal ornament.