Second Hand Computers

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by explorerx7 • Feb 10, 2016.

1. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Computers mostly have a relatively short lifespan. The usually recommended estimated useful life of a computer for accounting purposes is 5 years. However, many of them are kept in operation for many years longer before being replaced. I am not enthused about buying a second-hand computer because I may end up having to be repairing it on a regular basis.

2. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I would not consider purchasing a second hand computer, as it's technology would most likely already be out of date, and it would potentially be ridden with computer viruses. I suppose that a second hand computer would work fine for basic operations, such as data entry, but may not be ideal for more advanced programs.

3. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I'd much rather get a brand new computer than used. It's already used, so the time span on its life isn't going to be as long. Plus you just don't know what kind of hidden problems could be going on that you don't know about. Brand new computers are not that expensive. You can find a lot of different brands and types for good prices, so it's worth it!

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Me neither on buying second hand computers unless it comes with a really good warranty. I have seen good sales lately at Office Depot and Best Buy for computers too. I am a bit skeptical about buying second hand for the hard drive has to be clean too for you don't want someone else information to contend with too.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can attest to buying 2nd hand computers as a last resort, because you might end up buying one that has a hidden defect on it, like what happened to me. It really is not advisable to buy 2nd hand gadgets because they are likely to break down while in use because of old age.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you want a cheap computer it's always better to buy a refurbished computer because they are as good as new but cheaper. However if you just have to buy a second hand computer then you should buy one which hasn't been used for more than three years because these "newer" computers can be easily upgraded when the need calls for it.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One of the best things that you can do if you want a decently priced or even cheap computer is to go to a computer fair. They are great. The only thing is that you need to know your computer parts. Or if you don't personally know them take someone with you who knows about computer parts. But the parts by themselves are cheap, all you have to do is assemble them until you have a computer.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My first laptop was from a pawn shop, I had no problems with the laptop, the computer worked fine for some time. I upgraded to a larger computer later and passed the used laptop on to the kids to use to play games on.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Come to think of it, I assume most PC's in the pawnshops are still in good working condition because they are assessed before you get to pawn them, so I think the next time that I need to buy a new PC then I will look at a pawnshop first.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've seen some videos and articles online where they bring back old computers with just a few upgrades and they were able to even play games on them once the upgrades were installed. I don't think I'd gamble with it if it were me though, what with my limited knowledge. I think if there was no other choice I'd consider it and is just ask some experts online but otherwise I'd just buy brand new even if it were less powerful.

11. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    I would rather build my own desktop from scratch than buy a second hand system. If your requirements are low or you want to buy second hand systems for business related cost saving, you can always buy thin client PCs. Other wise, 2nd hand systems make no sense.

If you're talking about laptops, it depends on configuration. Some laptop models from 4 years ago don't have a match in the current market - in such cases buying that second-hand laptop and re-installing everything makes sense.

12. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our home computer is already 5 years old and we are planning to buy a new one. My husband is torn between another desktop and a laptop. The portability is the issue because we are travelers and when we are on vacation he misses his computer. So what if he had a laptop? However, the laptop is almost double the cost of the desktop so that gives him some thinking. Besides, the devices inside the laptop is more expensive like an extra hard disk.

13. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, most people want to buy individual computers. I am not sure how buying a server would benefit them. It just seems like the best bet to buy them are websites that sell alot of them like Amazon or eBay. They seem to have some good deals on various kinds of computers. It is up to you to get the products that make sense for you to own.

14. DreekLass

Threads:
    Even if you buy a pawn shop computer and then something goes wrong with it, you can replace parts relatively easily. But then again, why go for a second hand computer that needs repairing over a brand new one, if the price of the replacement parts and getting those parts fitted is going to cost more than the new computer, pr close to the price of a new one?

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was looking at the price of brand new desktop computers and they cost around $500 a set, but if you buy a 2nd hand one it can cost you from $50 to $100 only. So you can save a lot of money if you buy a 2nd hand one, especially if you can't afford to buy a brand new one.

16. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My very first computer was a very old model, those very ugly ones that had been used for many years at my workplace at the time. So it had done a lot of 'mileage'. I got it for dirt cheap, as they wanted to get rid of a bunch of them quickly and at the time, it was all I could afford. I ended up using it for quite a few years without any problems. But now, there's no way I'd get a second hand one. I'd rather take time out saving until I could buy one brand new.

17. DreekLass

Threads:
    You are lucky that they are so cheap where you live. Over here, they would be a lot more. At least, the ones that I have seen and looked at. It also depends upon what type of laptop or computer you are looking for, and what specs you want. The price will increase with the quality of the computer.

18. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think I would, they got rid of them for a reason, and it most likely wasn't just due to an upgrade. I would have thought it would be riddled with viruses, and generally unusable. I've never bought one myself, and given how much hassle they have given friends, I don't think that I ever will be.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Those were desktop PC's though, I'm not interested in owning a laptop since the brand new ones are also quite expensive here.

20. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I have bought a second hand laptop on Amazon and it works wonderfully. I have a touch screen HP laptop that is usually $600, but I got it for only $290 with an Amazon warehouse deal. It works well and I have had it for years.