Second Hand Goods

Discussion in Misc & Others started by gracer • Jan 16, 2016.

1. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I've mentioned in a previous thread that I shop for quality and price, not having to consider the brand but there are some stores in my area where I can buy mostly second hand stuff like clothes, shoes and furniture. The items are all actually still in good condition so I shop there every now and then. Sometimes I get so amazed at how cheap I have bought a certain piece of second hand good when I compare it with the brand new items being sold in department stores and malls. When I'm lucky, I also get to buy branded clothes at a cheaper price just because they are no longer brand new.

Do you also patronize second hand goods or do you prefer to buy brand new items instead? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. :)

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm fine with second hand for most items. I'm a little iffy about electronics, just because they change so quickly, and unless I know of the source, I may not trust it to work properly and keep working, but if the price was low enough, I might chance it. These days there is a big problem with bed bugs, also, so I would probably pass on mattresses, fabric furniture and things of that nature, but would consider wood and/or leather furniture. I have found that the people with money in many areas will donate a lot of really nice quality items, or sell them for tiny prices online in the Facebook groups, because they just want to get rid of them, and I think they want to give others a good deal, since they don't need the money. I've seen some amazing prices of really nice items in the Facebook groups. You have to pay attention, though, because they go quickly. Also, I've noticed the same thing with Freecycle.

3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    There was a time when my mom used to buy second-hand clothing for all of us and it was a kind of being ashamed for doing this, and try to hide from someone who could know who we were.

Eventually I learned there's nothing wrong with buying second-hand clothes as long as they come in good conditions and properly washed, yet I may decide on washing them again before using.

I don't buy second hand electronics because they may have failures and I'm no the kind of person who likes to fix a broken device, but saving to buy a new replacement. However a good option to save money with electronics is shopping for outdated (but new-to-use) appliances. I bought my big convention oven for the price of a small-toaster oven just for the fact that GE was introducing a new model that does the same, but has different "face."

My dad used to buy second hand furniture, whether from stores or from friends, and such furniture never lasted longer, so I prefer new furniture despite many times furniture can be found down the streets. Many people discard this, and if there is something you can pick from it, I have no inconvenience to bring it... as long as I can carry the thing.

I have seen beds, sofas and the like, to heavy besides the potential beg bugs fact that @Diane Lane@Diane Lane noted above.

However I have gotten from the streets small tables and shelves at no cost.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have often picked up a table or lamp that was put on the curb because the owner was moving and just no longer wanted the item. I also will purchase items from the second hand store to refurbish. Clothes can be refashioned to a more current style and be useful or the material can be used to make a completely new item. If I am concerned about bugs I leave the item outside in a big trash bag that has been sprayed with bug killer for a few days.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I don't have a problem buying second hand for most things. Even thrift stores or Goodwilll stores are not as cheap as they used to be though, sometimes you can get a better deal at yardsales church stores or stores that buy close outs. Again, you have to be aware of what things cost for the best bargains.

6. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a problem buying secondhand stuff as long as I am able to wash it thoroughly. I used to shop at thrift stores but gave up because of the poor selection at the stores I frequent. I mean, you really have to spend hours just to pick up some quality goods. So maybe that's why I've stayed away from thrift stores for now. I hope I can find a thrift store that sells good quality goods mostly and that you won't have to spend hours just to find a few clothing items that are good quality.

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I belong to Saver's Club and I get emails with alerts to the sales that's upcoming at Savers a thrift store in our little community. I go to many different thrift stores whether church thrift sales or Goodwill or Salvation Army to check out items. I love the prices. I find too that Wallmart has pretty good clothes and other goods with phenomenal prices too all brand new! Great food prices at Walmart too.:)

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends entirely on the item I'm buying. There are some things which ought be bought new [appliances and electronics you want to use for a long time are good examples]. There are other things which it wouldn't matter much if you bought them brand new or second hand. I often buy second hand goods/items. Used clothes for example, though almost new, cost a fraction of their price in thrift stores.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to say, if I can help it, if money isn't a problem, I much prefer to buy stuff first hand. Of course if I fell on hard times and had no other option, I wouldn't turn my nose up at second hand stuff. But if I can afford it, I much, much prefer to get all my stuff brand spanking new.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do buy second hand stuff because I get to save money that way especially on clothes. Although I have had my share of 2nd hand electronic items that had some hidden defects, so I am more cautios now in buying any 2nd hand electronic item.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I buy second hand when I don't need to touch the item all that much. If it's something like a closet or maybe a tv stand I wouldn't mind buying second hand and I'd probably seek it out before checking out brand new ones. If it's something I'll have to touch or wear close to me such as shoes and clothes as well as video game console controllers then I would probably not give into it even though I am assured that they have been sanitized. I just find that those items aren't really all that expensive brand new anyway and I'd much rather get the feeling of buying brand new and be even more sure that I have a good quality item.

12. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    There was a time when I would not step foot into a thrift store or second hand store. Now, I love them. You can find so much nice stuff in them if you really look. Sometimes, you will even find brand new items when stores give them away because they haven't sold. I have bought my children many nice articles of clothing from them and I know when I move I will buy things to decorate and furnish my new place with second hand treasures.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like shopping at thrift stores because some of them carry items that have nothing wrong with them except that the previous owner didn't like the color or didn't have room for them. There are some high quality items that can be found for much less than the cost of cheap!y made brand new items from a big box store. I once bought an $80 juicer for $5 at Goodwill in working condition.

14. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    The only second-hand items I would really buy is a car or certain furniture items, a sofa or bed would not be included in that list, Most of the times there is hardly any guarantee on used items, therefore, and it may be difficult to get your money back or have replaced if it goes bad soon after U purchase it.

15. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have to say I have a new appreciation for second hand clothes. A colleague of mine is just starting out and can't afford brand new clothes. I just found out that all her outfits are from second hand stores. She is very picky about what she buys but I would never guess that her whole outfit cost her under $10. She tells me that she can find tops with the tags still on them and pay $4.99. She gets lots of compliments on her clothes and then she tells them what she's paid for them. I just went the other day to the thrift shop to see what I could find. There was a Valentine's Day special so all ladies clothes were 30% off. I found the cutest sweater from Maurices and paid $5.50. It was barely worn and I wore it yesterday and had a waitress tell me she loved my sweater. I'm hooked now. I know I won't always find something I like but it's well worth it to pop into a thrift shop every now and again to look for a great bargain.

16. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's one thing I noticed the last time I was at my local Goodwill. It's a newer location, and it was my first time there. There were several small kitchen appliances that looked interesting to me, and that I could use, but they were still priced out of my budget. I think when I get some money I will go to a different location, in a more upscale neighborhood, and see if I can snag some deals on replacement appliances, because some of mine have broken, or are on their way out the door.

17. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find this so funny. One of my kids used to do the same thing. I asked, "If they see you in the thrift store that means that they are in the thrift store too. So, if they're doing the same thing, why hide from them?"

I would also add that besides thrift shops and other second hand stores, there are also some great deals to be found at flea markets from time to time. I recently went to a new one nearby. It's an indoor flea market, and while it's not super huge, they did have a decent selection of stuff.

I managed to pick up a cute dresser for cheap, so I'm happy. It saved me a lot of money, since even those cheaply made dressers at retail places cost a lot.

18. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I can also relate with you and your colleague's experience of being complimented because of what you're wearing without the person complimenting you knowing that you're actually wearing something out of a second-hand store. When you're lucky to find a good item and you have the right style of wearing them, they could actually look like expensive brand new clothes from the shopping centers.

19. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, there's a thrift shop just a few minutes away from where I'm working. The place sells a number of items from used books to used shoes to second-hand furniture. There's a lot of stuff you can buy from the store. I usually buy used books and magazines by the dozen since I can spend $3 or less for all my purchases. Sometimes I buy second-hand bags and have yet to buy furniture (mainly because I don't know how to drive).

20. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't remember buying a second hand item particularly household items. The only used item that we buy are spare parts of the car needed for repair. But that was when our car was not new. With our brand new cars now, we rely on the dealer for the parts. But I remember that I had sponsored a family in buying used clothes. They came from the province and they had nothing much with them so in order to help we bought them second hand clothing items.