Security Risks With Using Old Computers?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DrRipley • May 31, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    This might sound like a silly question, and it probably is, but I am absolutely clueless about computers, so I'll ask it anyway. I recently just found an old laptop that still works fine, but it's more than a decade old and still uses Vista, and I'm wondering if I should maybe buy some new security software to use it. I'm not planning on using it for much other than to maybe just serve as a media center by plugging it into a TV, but I do plan on still using it for some light online browsing so I want to be sure if I should be on the lookout for security risks that these ancient machines might not have protection against. To be clear, it's a Toshiba Satellite that runs a basic Windows Vista, and I've never updated the OS nor the Avg virus scan in it, and I'm fairly sure it has undergone a few phases of malware/trojans in the past. Additionally, do I need to run every file in it through a modern virus scan before I transfer it onto an external hard drive so as not to risk getting my other files infected?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Of course you need to run every file through a virus scan if you suspect that the laptop you are using is "unclean", but I think it would be better if you would just reformat it so that you can be fully secure. So just scan and backup the files that you want to keep and reformat your laptop, at least you can have peace of mind that way.

3. ghostwheel

ghostwheelMember

Threads:
    I'd check if there's a factory reset option. This is usually done during boot up when you press something like F8 to reinstall the OS.
    If there's no reset then I'd check if the Vista sticker is still on the laptop - that way you can get a copy of Vista and reinstall from scratch. Once reinstalled, run through windows update and then download the latest version of an antivirus software like AVG.

[video=youtube;P3kgjMjhr6c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3kgjMjhr6c[/video]
    (bomb disposal scene with IT crowd. I'm still using Vista - it's not such a bad OS :) )

Remember to backup anything important first.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use an ancient machine that runs Windows XP. The computer was bought in 2001 and still fairly good for light-weight browsing. Considering the fact that Microsoft ended support for XP, people like me who are still using XP are the ones who should be worried about security threats, etc.

As you mention that your laptop is only 10 years old, I don't think you should be worried about security. As the other guys say, just install, a good anti-virus, turn on your firewall and you'll be OK.

5. Kazix

KazixMember

Threads:
    Vista is still good as Microsoft still releases security updates for it. Windows XP users on the other hand, I would suggest to look for a new OS as soon as possible.

What you need to do is install every update Vista wants to install. Better get Microsoft Security Essentials instead of AVG. AVG has become bloated in the past years and it's nowhere near as good as it used to be. Scan you computer with MSE. Get Malwarebytes free version and scan you computer with it.

After all of that is done, you PC should be more or less safe. If you don't know how to do these things, ask a friend to do it for you. Everyone has that one friend, who is tech savvy.

6. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    If you're just planning on using the computer just for the purposes you've mentioned then you'll be fine. But I have to suggest you install a good antivirus system in your computer, there are a lot of good free antivirus softwares out there, you don't want to risk having a stray trojan infecting your files. If you really want to be secure try formatting the hard drive (granted that there are no important files there) and reinstall Vista if you have a recovery disk, or better yet, get rid of Vista (that thing is horrible) and just install Windows 7 or 8. And yes you need to run a scan on every single file if you want to make sure you're safe.

7. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think this is highly subjective if you ask me. For example, I am running Windows XP with Microsoft Security Essentials and the computer every single day "tells me" that my computer is not safe because I am running an unsupported OS. Is that true? I doubt it, the computer works fine, at the same speed, so why would I believe those warnings?

8. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Well, part of the reason to upgrade the OS is that it protects from latest online security threats and has the capability to deal with it. But if you're just doing web browsing you should be fine most of the time. Personally, I'm not someone who can use the internet on an outdated OS. I like to have everything updated as it's faster surfing and usually safer as well.

9. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I'd encourage you to purchase a very updated security scan just to keep your computer in good running mode. You can never trust anything anymore really so getting the upgrades is in your best interest. Often times those light duty browsing a can get attacked by a bug and will slow your computer down if you're not protected.

10. Kazix

KazixMember

Threads:
    I think having an unsupported OS (Windows XP) with even the best antivirus won't cut it any more. My friend had a Windows XP machine with Kaspersky Internet Security protecting it, yet his computer still got hacked just from browsing the web.

Basically all of his social networking portals got taken over and spammed, his emails too. And I think his computer was a part of some sort of botnet for a couple of days.
    Moving to Lubuntu got rid of all the viruses, but IIRC it took him good 2 weeks before he got back all of his accounts.

11. tinyfang

tinyfangMember

Threads:
    So long as you're using your computer for basic needs such as surfing the net and watching Youtube and possibly check non-sensitive emails, then that's fine. However, if you intend to do work on it, have some naughty pics of your lover and save credit card information in a text document, then I strongly suggest you upgrade or buy an upgraded system.

My dad's 6 year old computer runs Windows XP and IE9. I might upgrade his computer to a newer model soon though. He plays stocks and I feel very unnerved by that reason.