Self-piercing kits

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Serenity Fay • Sep 10, 2014.

1. Serenity Fay

Serenity FayMember

Threads:
    As someone who is pretty experienced with piercings (I have 6 well healed ones) I thought I'd share this info in the hope it might help someone. Self-piercing kits and the free piercings you get at Claire's or similar shops are a REALLY bad idea. Piercing with guns can permanently damage ear cartilage and guns are impossible to clean properly. You're way better off looking around for reputable piercing and tattoo parlors as they are professionally trained and use sterilized surgical needles that cause no damage and minimum pain.

2. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I'm *not* experienced with piercings at all (have none at all, actually, even my ears are piercing-free) but I still recognize what a horrible idea that is. There are some things you just aren't going to benefit from trying to do yourself...anything that requires technical skill or knowledge that you don't completely have and sterile conditions that you might not be replicating properly probably falls under that list.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a few piercings I did on my own. Though they may be just fine and have been since my teens, I wouldn't recommend anyone do it on their own. I do think it's fine depending on the area though and how much time and planning goes into it, to ensure it's done properly and cleanly. Even the "pros" can hurt people, sometimes having your own best interest at heart will lead to a better outcome. Without much thought though, no way. Actually, no way for most people lol.. I just know it's doable.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    While I don't think doing it at home is the smartest idea, this quote made me giggle a little:

I'm pretty sure that's usually the point of having a piercing. ;)

5. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I totally shrugged off this whole idea of self piercing kits. I totally think its something that needs to be took off the shelves! Anyone can claim they're a experienced piercer when in actuality, they are not. I would not let an inexperienced person touch my ears or my kids. This whole idea of making it readily available for just anyone is non sense.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I didn't even know you could get something such as 'self-piercing' kits!! Wouldn't that be dangerous? What if you pierce wrong, or the wrong spot, other you get it dirty and get an infection from it? It just sounds really dangerous to me and even if I were experienced with piercings I wouldn't use that.

7. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    Abuse to work a beauty supply store that offered piercing and I did most of the piercings. I agree that its important to clean these kits and make sure they are clear of any germs but I am very experience in them and the worst I hated was doing baby ears cause they cry so bad from the pinch.

8. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't even know they had self body piercing kits available. I myself do not have any piercings (I am a man and don't have any ear piercings). My brother has one. But if I ever did get one I would have somebody professional do it. I always wondered how painful it was but little girls less than 10 years old I see walking around with pierced ears these days. Imagine those people that get their tongue pierced. :O How do they enjoy a proper meal ?

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of self-piercing kits until now. I think any kind of self-administered body piercing is a bad idea, as so many things can go wrong. Personally, I am guilty of self-piercing. When I was a teenager, I used a hot needle and alcohol to drill two small holes into my earlobes. Everything went well because I was very careful, but please never try this at home, as you can easily give yourself a nasty infection. Always go to professional people who have a good reputation.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also have never heard of self-piercing kits until now, and lucky for me, my ears were pierced when I was just a baby, so I never had an idea how painful it is to have your ear pierced. I think it is always best to just hire someone to pierce your ears so that it would be sterile and safer.

11. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Please, don't ever do anything like this at home or without a trained professional. Not only it maylook very bad, but it will probably give you pretty serious health problems. I've heard of so many people that thought it's a good idea to cheap out on the salons and get pierced at home, and most of them were lucky to get out of it with "just" a very nasty infection.. Even piercing done by highly trained professional can heal upwards to 6 months, so that should tell you everything you need to know about not trying to do it at home.

12. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most people want to get their cheap piercing without spending money on quality piercings done right, though. It's common knowledge among a lot of people that like piercings that you have to get these things professionally done. Some random person doing the piercing at a fake jewelry store isn't going to cut it. You might save some money, but you could wind up with damaged cartilage and other issues, too.

13. Shoplady

ShopladyMember

Threads:
    I think it's a pretty bad idea to do this yourself, especially if you can't keep your tools clean... But I don't see much difference between this and home waxing kits or home hair dye kits...those can go extremely wrong too! In the end it comes down to who is using the tools and making sure you trust whoever is pointing the needle at your head!! LOL

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Had I known these were around when I got my first piercing, I probably would have bought one. I tried to get my ear pierced a couple days before I turned 18 and the person working the kiosk at the mall wouldn't do it. So I went back two days later to this same jerk and then she proceeded to ask me if I wanted it on the left side or the right side, rolling her eyes in the process saying "you know, if your that other part of the population...". This was back when wearing an earring on the right side supposedly meant you were gay, which is about as discreet as getting it tattooed across your forehead. I am gay btw, but I wasn't out to anyone at the time, which is part of the reason she was really pissing me off. If I knew I was going to have to go through that BS to get it done I would have just done it myself.