Selling new and used Clothes

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Kaybee517 • Jan 7, 2013.

1. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I was watching a video last night and saw an advertisement for Buffalo Exchange. I do have some unworn brand new clothes in my closet and considering selling them. Have you ever sold clothes to a store before or sold clothes online? What was your experience like? I think it's a great way to get extra cash, especially since the clothes are just collecting dust anyway.

2. Neelofar1334

Neelofar1334Active Member

Threads:
    I got started on eBay by selling the clothes I didn't wear. You're not going to sell them for more than retail value, and often times, you might have to sell a piece of clothing for less than $5.00 if it's not a popular brand. I've considered selling to Buffalo Exchange and Pluto's Closet (I think that's what it's called?) but my clothes weren't of popular brands or styles, which is what they pay a lot for.
    eBay also has fees to consider on top of everything else, so eBay should be one of your last options if you can find anything else that will have a bigger payoff.

3. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    I'd say go for it! I'm always looking for ways to make money, so I'm considering doing the same. I've heard that Plato's Closet is good for selling things if you have good clothes, but I know nothing of Buffalo Exchange. Before you go to a store, though, I'd check places like ebay and see how much similar items are going for. If they're going for more there than what you'd get in a store, sell 'em online! Fees are something most sites have, so make sure to include those in any comparing you do.

4. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I've had the same experience. Often they wouldn't even take the clothes I had because they weren't popular enough or stylish enough. That, and I tend to keep wearing my clothes until they're unwearable (or at least unsellable).

5. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I've never done well selling used clothes. I only end up with a few dollars and it makes it not worth it. I usually donate my clothes and then use it as a tax write off. I end up getting about the same amount of money, it's far less hassle and the person on the other end really needs them. I suppose if I had something of value like a leather jacket or a dress I didn't want I may try to sell that.

6. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Personally I have only ever bought clothes, not sold them, from Ebay online and I don't think you'll get a good price as it is just like the technology and DVD section - there is just too much competition to make a good amount, unless the items you are selling are considered "vintage".

7. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I didn't actually know you could sell unworn clothes to a store. I have sold clothes online before, on eBay. I made a decent amount of profit on the items which was a pleasant surprise. I bought a jumper on eBay for 30 and sold it for 80 in an auction, amazing really.

8. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    I've never sold my clothes, but this is something that my country could definitely have more, used clothing stores. I have loads of clothing I don't wear and I wouldn't mind at all buying used clothes as well, it would suit me like a glove. :)

9. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    My experiences were always very good. I know that all my clothes are in good condition but unfortunately I don't get to wear everything all the time. Therefor I gave mine away either to goodwill or I just sold them to a store or to people through amazon or eBay.

10. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    Back 5 years ago I think I bought a used t-shirt off eBay and the experience was good. I mean it depends on the seller and their reputation. If you see that people are saying the clothes are perfect and they couldn't ask for more, then it's probably a good seller. Sometimes, you just need to look into the sellers history and what other people have said about their products. Buying used clothes is fine, I mean if it looks new and "clean" I wouldn't see a problem with it. But I've never tried to sell them on eBay or anything like that. Depending on the shirt, the price would probably be low like other people have said. It depends on the brand and on the shirt. If it's rare and people want it, you'll get a lot more than you probably paid for it. Google the shirt to check it's retail or used value.

11. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have sold clothes to a store and online. Mainly kids clothes. I had a lot of clothes that were never worn that my kids were to big to fit and clothes that were in great condition that my kids no longer needed so I sold them and it was great. Didn't take long for someone to see my post online and buy them it was a nice way to make extra cash.

12. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I never sell any of my clothes, no matter the condition. I do not like the idea of selling my clothes, it just doesn't sit with me unless it is like a accessory. I could sell a belt of something, but never a shirt. I mean you will never get back what you paid for it so it is almost useless.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never tried selling clothes before, but I think that it's not worth it unless it's at least 50% of what you paid for. But if that's what you want to do, then why don't you give it a shot, right?

14. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I did try to do it once, but i only sold three pieces and was definitely not worth it, so i just gave away the rest because i really don't need that many clothes, especially because of how many i don't need or just don't fit anymore.

15. whatupswags

whatupswagsMember

Threads:
    I enjoyed the sell and re-sell clothing scene in college, spending tons of time in Buffalo Exchange, Crossroads Trading Co, and Plato's Closet. However, these days, I have found the best clothing re-sell option to be: the POSHMARK app! I get to set my own prices, have my own sales, advertise with other closets, and so forth. I love the flexibility of it, and I have made way more money on the app than I ever did selling in stores. I encourage everyone to download the app and start selling on your own terms.

16. ChrisRoger

ChrisRogerNew Member

Threads:
    I never wear the used clothes.